Starting a Microdistillery - TIPS

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Starting a Microdistillery - TIPS

Postby the Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Having had the pleasure of watching you distill, and the way you analytically approach the whole thing...you have a plan, you have passion and you are competant..I believe you will do it. 12 months is a big ask ...so do not beat yourself up if it takes a little longer...but I believe that you have what it takes. I wish you all success. Cheers mate.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Konzo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:08 pm

the Doctor wrote:Having had the pleasure of watching you distill, and the way you analytically approach the whole thing...you have a plan, you have passion and you are competant..I believe you will do it. 12 months is a big ask ...so do not beat yourself up if it takes a little longer...but I believe that you have what it takes. I wish you all success. Cheers mate.
Doc

Thanks Doc. It helps when you have a great teacher :-)

Time wise that's mostly what I'm aiming for the have a premises and a licence by. Whether I'm trading or not yet at that stage will be another question. On a positive, started my first mother today with my grain wash complete and ready to ferment. It is game on!!!
Konzo

equipment: 6" Plated Mac Still on 200L "Mr Squiggle" Boiler :-)

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:19 am

Here's an interesting doco of 10 minutes on what is officially the smallest set of licensed stills in Scotland. Any smaller and they would be considered portable and therefore illegal under their laws.

Something to think about for folks aiming to be competitive with the international market - when you see how massive I reckon this operation is and this is considered a micro micro distillery. I call this freaking huge.

I hope you guys thinking about starting a distillery get some value out of seeing this, and for the rest of us - drool away at that barrel aged goodness. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for the Vid BB :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Top viewing.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby tipsy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:27 pm

That's a good one BB, not too long and nice and simple for a simple person like me :D

And wasn't that Vyvyan from the young ones?
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:56 pm

tipsy wrote:That's a good one BB, not too long and nice and simple for a simple person like me :D

And wasn't that Vyvyan from the young ones?

It was, gold star for you for recognising him - he's old fat and bald now. But that was 25 years ago I guess!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Boris_564 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi All
Just the topic i was looking for, i am currently in process of submitting paperwork now.
All the information on these forums fantastic pity i didnt find you 6 months ago, never mind.

Hey Doc i am not real sure if the PM i sent you went or not, i am learning how to use forums, but would love to get in contact to follow up on everything said in this thread as a lot of question here have changed some of my directions. I am looking to produce Single Malt Whisky 50l Casks using a 80l Copper Pot and inbetween Flavoured Vodka, but hearing everyone talk about alternative stills has got me even more keen if that is possible.

Cheers Wazza
Boris_564

equipment: Turbo 500 and a 5 litre copper pot

Postby the Doctor » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Return PM with phone number sent Wazza.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby RumFiend » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:43 pm

BUMP.

curious to see how this adventure is coming along Konzo.. if it were me I'd have probably nailed my liver pretty hard by now with all that booze vapour in the air 8-}
RumFiend

equipment: idea reflux.
common-sense condenser.

SS plated bubbler

Postby MacStill » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:56 pm

I got an email a couple of months ago from him, he's up and running now and going great guns :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Look up Catcher & co distillery :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:31 pm

It would be nice to here from the craft distillers how they got on and how they are doing. Not saying this guy won't but as one of the early chief proponents of supporting craft distillers here I would like to see guys give back to the members at least what they got :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Muppet » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:48 pm

I google his website, has he started a hbs or a distillery?
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:25 pm

Muppet wrote:I google his website, has he started a hbs or a distillery?

I think he already had a HBS. :think:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby res » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:28 pm

crow wrote:It would be nice to here from the craft distillers how they got on and how they are doing.

Me three. I imagine many here harbor the dream of taking the next step, myself included and would be very keen on hearing from those who have made it.
I wonder however about the legal ramifications of linkages between the gray area we dwell in and the tightly controlled distilling industry. :think:
If it were me I'd be seriously considering rejoining the community but as my new identity as a licensed distiller. In that way I feel all would be well served.
One thing I know for sure is if I do realize my dream it will be in no small part due the support of forums like this :romance-kisscheek:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:48 pm

It'd be nice if he at least gave us some credit for the recipes he's copy and pasted from here :think:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby MacStill » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:11 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:It'd be nice if he at least gave us some credit for the recipes he's copy and pasted from here :think:

Yeah I noticed that too :handgestures-thumbdown:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby BIG D » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:29 pm

If a hbs is involved might be a little difficult to peddle the regular practices :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: guess sometimes it's easy to forget where you come from. :think:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby igy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:48 pm

the Doctor wrote:Having had the pleasure of watching you distill, and the way you analytically approach the whole thing...you have a plan, you have passion and you are competant..I believe you will do it. 12 months is a big ask ...so do not beat yourself up if it takes a little longer...but I believe that you have what it takes. I wish you all success. Cheers mate.
Doc

I know this is an old post, although was interested in finding out more about any possible training that you may provide.
igy

equipment: nothing yet

Postby the Doctor » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:17 pm

igy wrote:
Doc

I know this is an old post, although was interested in finding out more about any possible training that you may provide.

Although I have a degree in vocational education and workplace assessment, I have found that teaching really disrupts our routine, so I apologise, but I rarely ever teach or assess distillers now. The commitment is just too hard to keep up. Sorry mate.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Arismac » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:It'd be nice if he at least gave us some credit for the recipes he's copy and pasted from here :think:

There ARE actually laws in Australia about that. But as with many things the cost of pursuing at law is ridiculous.
In any event he is very naughty. :handgestures-thumbdown:
Last edited by Arismac on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arismac

equipment: none left

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions