new to distilling( advise on building own still)

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

new to distilling( advise on building own still)

Postby fridgy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:31 pm

Hey
I am new to distilling found this forum and it awesome very impressive.

I brought a Turbo 500 have done 8 or so runs though it. Happy with it but want to make rum as i love rum. Also scotch/whiskey

So thinking of building a pot still so just wondering which is the best way to go about it in the design area.

Thanks
fridgy

Re: new to distilling( advise on building own still)

Postby maheel » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:58 pm

hey welcome fridgy

it's one of those piece of string questions you got here

many are advocates for the plate (flute) style as they provide speed and flavour the downside is a build costs more to do.

you can make a pretty simple pot head for $50 a number of ways, maybe even less $$ for something really simple
the issue is is it the right way and there may not be any "right" way.

maybe indicate how much $$$ you might spend and we could think up some ideas

i been making neutral for a while now and just prefer to flavor it, i am trying all grain for scotch but not sure it's worth the effort yet
maheel

Postby fridgy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:11 pm

basically not too worried about the cost

as ive got all the tools, got copper sizes from 1/4 up to 2 5/8

just want something else to have a little fun with ;)
fridgy

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:17 pm

A flute is a poor pathetic name for a bubble plate column, calling these stills a flute really makes me cringe.... they are a bubble plate column still, not some magical gay persons instument ;) :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling:

Now that's out the way you can make a pot still as complicated or simple as you like, and still make a damn fine drink.

The pot stills in the commercial section I sell are a pretty simple, effective & popular design, take a look at these and fire me any queries you have about making one yourself, 5Star also builds a similar model so theres a bit there for you to see to get an idea.

SBB has a great little pelican rig I'm sure he'd be proud to to have you copy too, and he'd be more than willing to help you out with the basics of it.

Good luck with it, and welcome to our forum, you found the right place :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby fridgy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 pm

thanks for your help

had a look at them, very tidy units....
got some idea's brewing now
fridgy

Postby SBB » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:27 pm

McStill wrote:SBB has a great little pelican rig I'm sure he'd be proud to to have you copy too, and he'd be more than willing to help you out with the basics of it.

Geeze Mac throw me in at the deep end why don't ya :lol:

G'day Fridgy.
Scuze me if I dribble but I been in the shed stripping UJSM and had a rum or two while at it.
I started out the same way with a T500
I gather by the name and and the fact that you have all those sizes of pipe including 2and 5/8 you already know your way around a bit of copper pipe and a stick of solder.
Im only a newbie at this game and asked the same questions not long ago. (Beware Still building is addictive..Im working on my third one) You can hunt around the net a bit if ya like and you will find that there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong way for a pot still..or a set plan for that matter.
From my understanding what does matter is.
A: Length of column ( the up right bit) shorter = more flavour...longer less flavour.
B: if you use a 3/4 over 1/2 inch leigburg which seems to be the popular option make sure you crimp the 1/2 inch...this causes turbulence in the ALC vapors and helps the condenser do its job.
C: From what Ive read ..but have yet to try..... A 1 inch over 3/4 liegburg will out preform the above but will need some sort of packing instead of crimping.....something like some copper or stainless pot/ dish washing scrubber stuffed up it.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby fridgy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Thanks SBB
Are you able to post a photo of your unit?

Refrigeration mechanic has it advantages. ;)
fridgy

Postby SBB » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Yeah Mate you will find it here ............ http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=369
Ive since built one the same that fits a 50L beer keg
The one disadvatage Ive found doing in this way is that you end up with your take off point to close to the ground.....unless you put the whole thing on a table or something pretty high.
Problem can be solved by turning the last elbow more to the left or right.....less angle on ya condenser.
As another member here says..."crawling around on the floor to check on ya parrot is for monkeys"..something along those lines anyway
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:45 am

If you use a stainless barrell union on the bend you can have it so the output height is adjustable.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:48 am

SBB wrote:
McStill wrote:SBB has a great little pelican rig I'm sure he'd be proud to to have you copy too, and he'd be more than willing to help you out with the basics of it.

Geeze Mac throw me in at the deep end why don't ya :lol:

Sorry mate, that was not my intention :oops:

What I meant was that you'd be happy to answer questions about your design if you were asked about it ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby fridgy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Been thinking about it
ive got a keg, if i use the keg would it be best if i go 3inch and weld a flange onto it. As would be easier for cleaning ect...
fridgy

Postby Tracker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:29 pm

I don't wish to throw too many variants at you but as mentioned before there are as many different still designs as there are pages in a book.
I have been down the road of LM reflux (boring sugar washes, too long sitting on my arse, then having to flavour things up) Pot still (quicker but more work involved to get flavour into the wash/mash and multiple runs requires) Pot still with thumper (a great comprimise between the two and I am as happy as a six year old licking an icecream).
With our hobby size units, I do not subscribe to the theory that the length of plain pipe columns contributes to the flavour profile of the final product as I believe you need to be talking multiple metres of very large diameter column to get that to work.
My next step will be to re-design my set-up using a keg boiler with quick connect joins, drain ports but stick with the thumper for sure. Also build up the flavour profile of my wash/mash.

These are just what suits me, not everyone will agree.

Cheers and good luck with your search for the perfect still.
Tracker

Location: The bit in the middle of the bottom part about 2 hours north of the big smoke.
equipment: Pot still with thumper, doubled up liebig condensers.
2" Bok to clean up mistakes or an oversupply of heads & tails

Return to Beginners Questions