is there " to much heat ??"

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

is there " to much heat ??"

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:31 pm

This arvo I finished a cleaning run on my 2" pot still on a 50 ltr keg, charged with about 10 ltr water and 2 ltr white vinegar, with the now infamous :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: BD 747 burner shuved up it arse at full tilt , it took it from cold ( tap temp) to a 5 ft stream of steam coming out of the 1/2" outlet of the liebig in 6 minutes :o :o :o :o

I blasted the steam jet for about 20 min then started to let water into the condenser and watched the effects , just generally played with it for a while, ie: adjust water flow, stuck me finger into the out flow of the condenser and water outlet, slowed the burner back by 1/2 tryin' the get a cool output from the liebig, then blasted the steam again for 15 min etc.

Is there such a thing as too much heat ? :think: :think:

After muckin' for a while I tried to cool the output down to a reasonable rate at less than luke warm ie: water faster and burner slower ( 50 % ), got it back to 9 lph :o :o at a temp a bit hotter than I'd like to bath in

I think it's a case of :think: :think: I'll just have to make a bigger still to suit ya burner BD :o :o :o :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :dance: :dance:

Cheers
Stubs
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Re: is there " to much heat ??"

Postby QLD.Andy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:52 pm

if that was a spirit run it would have turned itself into a flame thrower, safety first
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby R-sole » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:18 am

Sounds like you need a better, more efficient condensor than a liebig. look into a shotgun or triplewall condensor.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:37 am

You were boiling water & vinegar which will boil @ 100c, when you stick some alcohol in the boiler it'll act differently ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:37 pm

You are correct Andy . Safety is paramount here . I'm not a total idiot ( debatable :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ) I prefer to do all the tinkering with the vinegar/water til I'm happy, then do some real stuff.
I'm thinking of changing the hole size in the burner to tone it down with mig tips :think: :think: , experimenting with different sizes and the air flow induced by the " 2" pipe angles and size openings :geek: :geek: :geek: , or even using this burner as is for a "heat up burner " then changing it out to a 2 or 3 ring once the keg is hot.
Was speaking SBB last nite , he say'd " Keep the burner it'll come in handy for a 100+ or so litre boiler later down the track" :think: :think: , that makes me wonder what he's up to :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
Stubs
stubbydrainer

Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller

Postby maheel » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:47 pm

stubbydrainer wrote:r even using this burner as is for a "heat up burner " then changing it out to a 2 or 3 ring once the keg is hot.

Cheers
Stubs

this is a pretty good idea would give you a better fine control on heat i reckon

are you running a higher pressure reg or not (out of interest)
maheel

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:50 pm

yep, the HP reg I was using also had a pressure gauge on it :D :D :D
stubbydrainer

Return to Beginners Questions