TPW stopped at 1.00

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

TPW stopped at 1.00

Postby craig1 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:55 pm

I have got down two tomatoe paste washes and they both have stopped at 1.00 anything I can do to bring it down to 990? and does it really matter or will I just have less yeild
craig1

equipment: T500

Re: TPW stopped at 1.00

Postby Sam. » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:59 am

Craig,

Have you been getting the same reading consistent over a couple of days? It might still be going just incredibly slow.

Did you add any other nutrients to the wash other than the the tomato paste? I found that adding 1 tsp of citric acid and 1tsp of DAP was not enough to bring it right down to 990. The last couple I have put 2 level tsp of citric acid and 3 heaped tsp of DAP and it has had no trouble getting to 990.

Also what temp are you fermenting at? when the wash is going vigorously it will generate its own heat but towards the end if you are in a cold climate the temp of the wash will drop dramatically and once it goes too far it will stop working.

As for what you can do if it's a temp thing then raise the temp up (you might need to gently stir to get the yeaties going again) for a couple of days and see what happens.

If it's a nutrient thing fuck all you can do about it now, when its clear just run it through, the final product may be sweeter than usual due to unfermented sugars. Next time try adding some more nutrients like DAP, epsom salts or try the weetbix/corn flakes/all bran washes.

Hope this helps.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby maheel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:16 am

my last one did the same...

in the end i ran it after i mucked about adding this and that

reckon the time saved waiting you could run it and get another fermenting ASAP :)
maheel

Postby busman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:43 am

:text-+1: just run it, 1.00 is close enough, the difference in yield (unless it's a MASSIVE wash) will be negligible.
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby craig1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:56 pm

thanks for your replies might put down a couple bran washes this week and see what results I get
craig1

equipment: T500

Return to Beginners Questions