Eucalyptus Liqueur

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Eucalyptus Liqueur

Postby fields » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:54 am

I was just about to make some gin and have the supplies ready however on the weekend a friend gave me a sample of the Tambourine Distillery's Eucalyptus Liqueur... I really liked it, has anyone tried anything similar? I doubt its using oil as it seemed evenly blended but am not sure.

I'm not sure i want to put gum leafs in the vapour path... but if it is not going to kill me I may give it a try.
fields

equipment: 50L 2" Boka LM Reflux Still
looking to get rid of:
5L super reflux still
25 L CM still

Re: Eucalyptus Liqueur

Postby MacStill » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:04 pm

I would use lollies to infuse/macerate in the vodka rather than distilling the plant parts ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:43 pm

I have tried some of SBB's lemon myrtle liqueur,
to me it had a better flavour more to my liking,than the commercial lemoncello everyone in these parts drink and even better than SBB's home brand lemoncello, sorry SBB ;)
the only thing with it .......He can't remember the recipe he made up for it :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Cop that SBB :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener:
All I do know he had a handful of leaves and did something with them :confusion-shrug:
.....maybe you could ask him?

Stubs
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby SBB » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:12 pm

I thinki it could be done, but you would need the right leaves from the right variety of tree at the right time of year, for starters Eucalyptus have different chemical compounds in the leaves at different times of year...some of these things are pretty nasty in more ways that one...not just taste. Its one of the reasons that Koalas will eat from a certain tree at some times of the year ....but not at other times.
Ive tried a few different liqueurs from T-mountain and found them all excellent...never tried the Eucalyptus one though.

stubbydrainer wrote:He can't remember the recipe he made up for it

Dranno....Id had a long day at work...then a few rums...happened to drive past a Lemon Myrtle plantation on the way home so I nicked a few hand fulls of leaves. It was only an experiment and I didn't measure anything. I used roughly 500ml neutral hearts @ 92%....stripped the leaves from stalks and scrunched them up a bit...stuck them in the jar with the ALC till the leaves were level with the liquid level.....took them out after 24 hours as there was already heaps of taste.....added enough sugar syrup to bring it down to about 40% abv. It did turn out surprisingly well and Im sure with a bit of fiddling it could be a lot better.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Frank » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:37 pm

Hey guys
at the personal risk of proving I'm a wanker :violin: ,
I'd like to point out that 'Lemon Myrtle' is botanically a backhousia and ,as such, is not a eucalyptus . Sure....they are both in the same enormous MYRTACAE 'family' but the extracted oils are VERY diferent from a potential toxicity point of view.
So....even though you can eat/flavour with Lemon (or even Anissed or Chocolate) Myrtle; aka bush tucker; please ask 'THE RIGHT PEOPLE" before ingesting eucalyptus oil! It has been known to kill since the first Australians. :!:
(edit: preface above)
Frank

Postby SBB » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:14 pm

Sorry about that Frank....The Lemon Myrtle thing was off topic and I should have pointed that out.
And yes you are right about eucalyptus...thats why I mentioned that they contain varying amounts of chemical compounds and not all good
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:21 pm

Frank wrote: please ask 'THE RIGHT PEOPLE" before ingesting eucalyptus oil! It has been known to kill since the first Australians.

Hence my previous comment on this subject Frank, you are not a wanker, you are 100% right IMHO :text-thankyoublue:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby fields » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:48 pm

I think the eucalyptus drops option wins for the moment... at least till i've done more reading

thanks
fields

equipment: 50L 2" Boka LM Reflux Still
looking to get rid of:
5L super reflux still
25 L CM still

Return to Beginners Questions