Distilling Generational Washes Through a Bubbler.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Distilling Generational Washes Through a Bubbler.

Postby SBB » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Some time in the next few days I have to do something with the Rum wash I have fermented and ready to go As this wash is a first generation and is supposed to be stripped and saved until at least 5 generations have been collected and then the lot run through a pot still Im wondering what the best approach to this is using a Bubbler.
Ive got 60 L to play with.

1: Should I run 2 x 30L batches through the bubbler and keep the end result…..this seems to me to have obvious problems like not getting the flavour from later generations of wash.

2: Strip 35L…add this to the remaining 25L of wash and run it hopefully getting a bigger hearts run out of it.

3: Strip the lot and wait until I’m up a few more generations then mix wash and strippings and run the lot…..hopefully getting more flavor and more hearts.

Opinions and Ideas welcome
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: Distilling Generational Washes Through a Bubbler.

Postby MacStill » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:58 am

Any of the options will work, I guess it would all depend on your drinking stock pile.

Option 3 is your best bet though if your not in a hurry, you'll get a huge hearts run from it & running low wines through these things doesnt seem to strip any flavor IMHO.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:18 am

McStill wrote:running low wines through these things doesnt seem to strip any flavor IMHO.

Thanks Mac.....that was my main concern. I might just strip this lot and wait a while before doing a spirit run.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:44 pm

The last lot of UJSM I did was just low wines with that corn flakes failure mixed in, mrs mac is sipping it already and reckons it's some of the nicest I've made yet.... and I do agree with her even though I dont really go much for whiskey ;)

There seems to be a bit of misinformation around about these things, they "dont" strip flavor from a wash to the point of it being flavorless, my rum through these things is very bold even after pulling it at 93% from a low wines run, and I think it's a lot better rum than I ever made in a pot still ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Beginners Questions