Ready to distill?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Ready to distill?

Postby lyonsy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Put down a turbo wash 16 days ago, and have a specific gravity of 998, dont know if I should distill now or wait longer.
I feel I've done everything right up till now, temperature has remained between 22 and 26 degrees during this period. Equally container was sterilised before use, the only thing that may effect the process is that I didnt use an airlock I just put glad wrap over the top and used the rubber seal of the lid. The seal isnt that tight as you can smell the wash.
This is only the 2nd attempt at making spirits the 1st time I used an airlock but felt it would be good to be able to watch the process.
Ian
lyonsy

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Ready to distill?

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Sounds like it's ready to go, as long as it's clear you should be fine ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby lyonsy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:07 pm

How clear is clear, should it look like water?
You cant see thru mine its more of an opaque lightly coloured liquid
lyonsy

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:09 pm

It more than likely wont be like water, at least I've never seen a wash get that clear.... but opaque and see through sounds fine to me :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby R-sole » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:34 pm

You want the fg to be constant over a couple of days.

Measure it again tommorow and if it's still dropping leave it till you get three readings the same over three days :dance:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:40 pm

Even using Turbo Clear alone will not get it like water, if you use Turbo Carbon at the start then Turbo Clear after it will be like water, you can see the bottom of a 50L fermenter! Very expensive way to make booze though. Check out the Tomato Paste washes or Plain Old Sugar Wash or Weetbix/All Bran wash for some ideas.

Not having an airlock should not make a difference as long as you haven't been taking the glad wrap off and letting in oxygen.

If you cannot see any tiny bubbles rising from the surface through the glad wrap you should be good to go especially after 16 days if you kept it warm.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions