Re running cuts

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re running cuts

Postby lyonsy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Well, just did my 2nd run I have a T500 stock standard.
Really impressed with this run.
First one was done in a caravan park and very hard to conrol water flow and conditions not great. Got about 2 3/4 litres at 92%.
This time round at home managed to get 3 1/4 litres ABV 95%.
This now sitting in jars of 250mls airing. Prior to this run all I knew was what was written in the book that came with the T500, what an eye opener to get home and google Aussie Distiller, it certainly adds a new dimension to drinking the stuff I make, knowing I can tweak it and play around with it.
So back to the question sorry to waffle, in regards to cuts I read at one stage that Maheel made mention to Ma Baker that he waters down his cuts to the 40% and that the ones that arent good enough he will use for next run. Therefore my question is how does this get added back to your next wash, do you just do an ordinary wash the same as if you had nothing else and then add to that the watered down previous cuts.
Equally I read somewhere else, that McStill said that you can keep all your feints and do a feints run. How does a feints run work? I assume the feints have been watered down to 40% alsootherwise you couldnt really taste test.
As I said before I am having a ball with all this I've only done turbo washes cant wait to try a new recipe.
Looking forward to input on this subject.
lyonsy

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Re running cuts

Postby MacStill » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Adding the stuff (feints = heads & tails) with the next wash means adding it to your boiler with the next wash, not making your wash with it ;)

or:

You can save "ALL" your feints (head & tails cuts) together & when you have enough @40% to fill your boiler you can run them.... "feints run"

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Rather than having to water every individual jar down to 40% I find it easier to use a heap of shot glasses. Put a teaspoon of your distilate in each glass then add a teaspoon of water to each...not quite 40%...but close enough I reckon. Dont get ya glasses mixed up :lol: ...keep them in front of their respective jars.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby lyonsy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:14 am

SBB, does that mean the feints you re run go back into the next wash undiluted?
lyonsy

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby not alan jones » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:03 pm

Yes, add them to your next wash after fermentation, in your still. No need to dilute as long as your total ABV is less than 40%, which it should be, unless you have a very small wash and lots of feints.
That's what I have done in the past..... but I may be wrong :whistle:
not alan jones

equipment: super reflux and pot

Return to Beginners Questions