Turbo 500 Kooky Idea - Repacking the column with Botanicals

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Turbo 500 Kooky Idea - Repacking the column with Botanicals

Postby evildrakey » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:28 pm

I had a kooky idea... I've got a turbo 500... Which I'm using to start with until I can make a decent pot still (see below)

Is it possible after doing a normal run of wash, to take the column, empty out the ceramic saddles and pack the column with botanicals for making gin. Then adding a mix of pure spirit and distilled water into the boiler and doing a run that way...

Would it work as a concept or should I stick to cold compounding for gins???

D.

Plans are afoot for a decent copper pot still with thermocouples inserted at various points connected to an Arduino box connected wirelessly to a laptop. My plan is for automatic temperature logging over the entire run... The perhaps automated water control to keep the temperature exactly where I want them...
evildrakey

equipment: Turbo Still 500. Old, manky potstill (not used)

Re: Turbo 500 Kooky Idea - Repacking the column with Botanic

Postby maheel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:20 pm

interesting idea with the t500

never really looked inside one but the worst that can happen really is you choke it.... could be a little dangerous but low "risk" i think if you dont pack to tight ?

the TC idea for logging temps will work fine, using it to control water is going to be a challenge i reckon and highly likely to be of little use.
using the audrino to power a PSR / SSR type heating control and a constant temp water supply IMO would be better

but i have NFI really
maheel

Postby SBB » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:30 pm

Just be careful the plastic cap at the top of the column doesn't get to hot n melt.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Al Qaemist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:04 am

You can run the T500 with no reflux like a pot, but due to the small condenser the cooling has to be running flat out and is REALLY wasteful.
OldDog said he hangs the botanicals in a cotton bag from a hook in the still head space, you could do that from the threaded connector, also no chance of it blocking the column. I prefer to charge the still with cut spirit so I don't lose some nice flavour in the head and tails - if you choose to infuse from the wash, I find you need to use a larger quantity of botanicals to counteract this.

Al.
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Return to Beginners Questions