The Best Still/Plans

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: The Best Still/Plans

Postby Sam. » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Fridge, Jumping in the deep end is usually the best way to learn things but I think you might want to learn a bit more about what actually happens in a column be it a pot or reflux and then you will understand better how to build one. Not only will you know how to build one better but you will also know how to use one better. All the questions so far have been about how to build one, you don't just build one, load it with wash and run the shit out of it and expect good results, there is much more to it.

As Devotus said earlier, read the compleat distiller. This is probably the best source of information about the theory of distilling that I have seen. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of people on forums that can tell you some great information but sometimes it is not quite accurate. I would be more inclined to read information that has been published and sold to many people that agree with the content.

From the time lines of these post you seem to be in the worlds biggest rush. This is not a hobby (or business) you can rush, it takes a lot of patience, and starting off with a decent bit of kit and the knowledge to run it might be worthwile.

Having ranted about all that, I dont reckon there would be anyone on here claiming they have perfected the art, and who knows you might make something that is better than anything before :dance:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Fridge » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:50 pm

I definitely agree with the rushing part, I guess that's just who I am but...I tend to get obsessed and want to do things right here right now. Hence the I can build this to the I can buy this back to the I can build this mindset :P

But having said that I have read the Compleat Distiller along with a couple of other books and they are indeed a great source of information. I don't claim to understand exactly how a reflux works but I think i get the gist of it. I've read a lot on the operation of a Boka but I guess the best thing will be to actually do it, following a few guides and making sure I know what is going on and when. I'll be keeping a log and making a method in my own words to make sure I know what I am doing.

Thank you for reminding me to slow down but :P I've already got ingredients lined up to emulate some recipes and I'm thinking about how I'm gonna make a Turkish Delight flavoured liqueur and a Macadamia one (both of which I tasted at a distillery in Margaret River once, DELICIOUS!).
Fridge

equipment: Novice

Postby devotus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:11 am

Fridge wrote: that's just who I am but...I tend to get obsessed and want to do things right here right now.

I'm with ya there mate; we could start a support group.

The fwiwik group, (Fuck waiting I want it know) group, 7:30 meetings at the local pcyc
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby R-sole » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:06 am

2" is fine if you need only moderate stocks. If you are brewing only for you and your missus and you aren't big drinkers and you aren't giving a lot away.

It takes 4 strips of a 50l keg potstill to charge a 40l charge of 40%, so say 4 arftenoons over a month.
Then it takes a run of 12-14hrs to run the spirit run.

But that will give you 40l of vodka after cuts, which for two moderate drinkers will probably last a year.

Trouble comes when you want experimant doing lots of differentinfusions, kahlua etc and your and her mates find out how good it is....

3" will probably take about 6-8hours for the same spirit run.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Fridge » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:22 am

Yeah see that (40L) is heaps and would definitely last a year, so maybe the 2" would be better. I can always upgrade later if as you say, some of those awesome recipes get the mates asking for a bottle!

I think I have everything sorted now, just have to source the copper and finalise the measurements for myself. Hopefully we can get most of it done before the holidays are over! Thanks to everyone for their info and support :)
Fridge

Postby Brendan » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:12 am

Mate, i've just bought all the gear for my first still build...there aint a llot of difference in cost between 3" and 2". Once you've got the column, fittings are almost the same price anyway. From what I hear the output is 4x and 4x faster...sounds worthwhile to me :)
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby R-sole » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:11 am

I certainly don't sell packing for a 2" column at the same price as for 3" :laughing-rolling:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Fridge » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:46 am

Ahh awesome that's what I like to hear! I'm gonna go down to a scrap yard or two and check it out after the new year when they open again, where did you get your copper from?

Also we have about 10 cartons of scrubbers at work that I can have for free so no issue with the packing there! So looks like 3" would be best for me, hopefully I can source the materials when everyone decides to start work again :)
Fridge

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Or you can do what I did Fridge....I bought a ripper of a still off Mac...see plated colum still thread....new bubbler build by Mac...or here it is when I got it
Fkn beauty hey!Then when I'd learnt to drive it I had a crack at making my own....With a couple of variations lol
If I can do it,I recon anybody could
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MacStill » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Big Don wrote:Or you can do what I did Fridge....I bought a ripper of a still off Mac.

Treasure it mate, I aint building no more ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions