Introduction and Everclear

New members please make this your first stop before introducing yourself to our community, for your benefit and ours this is a must read section for "all members before posting in our community"

Introduction and Everclear

Postby whinging pom » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:31 pm

Hi everyone
I live in WA [Perth] and have been distilling for just over 10 years now, using mostly a Pure Distilling reflux tower although I also have a Pot Still - also Pure Distilling.
I haven't been very adventurous, but I made a botanicals basket for the Pot Still and did a few runs of gin, experimenting with different botanicals; I was pleased with the results but felt that the ratio of hearts to heads & tails was disappointing. My usual 6.00pm drink is a Dry Martini [deadlier than a drone strike] made from the ethanol which I get direct from the still after reducing to 47% and filtering and this is such a staple that I haven't felt the need to go experimenting - until now...
I wanted to make some Limoncello, so after some research, I recently bought some 'Everclear' produced by a local winery but the cost almost brought on a nose-bleed. The end result is a really excellent Limoncello and I want to pursue this venture, so the question is, since I can't filter my own ethanol at 90%, how do I get it to the point that it is usable without reducing the ABV?
Any advice would so much appreciated.
Cheers
CLIVE
whinging pom
Site Donor

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux still
Pure Distilling pot still
Fuselex filter
Temperature controlled fridge

Re: Introduction and Everclear

Postby The Stig » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:15 pm

Welcome Pom (I refuse to acknowledge the other part)
The cleanliness of your distillate will depend on many variables.
What wash are you using ?
Are you making cuts , foreshots, heads, hearts and then tails (bet not) ?
And are you willing to take less per run in the persuit of quality over quantity ?
Welcome to the rabbit hole that for some never ends :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BigRig » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:25 pm

If you do cuts you wont need to filter your neutral.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby MattSmith » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:56 pm

I haven't experimented with too many washes but for me a Kale wash (I used the recipe on here), taking cuts and then keeping the very best of that at full strength is great for things like limoncello (or proofed down for gin).

My first Kale run I was pretty generous with my cuts and whilst it is drinkable straight, it improves with filtering. I use the unfiltered stuff for mixing and filter a bit at a time for drinking on the rocks.
MattSmith
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 50L Milk Can
FSD 4" pot (3" PC) with packed section & RC
Still Spirits Air Still

Postby Wellsy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:55 pm

Welcome Pom

I love the wheat bix all bran recipe in the tried and true section.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RC Al » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:07 am

Welcome mate

The extreme answer is to re run the hearts (you need to do cuts, period) again and again until you can't pick the difference between the dunder from the run and plain water.

Too much work for me lols, but stripping, dilution to 15% for the spirit run (most ester groups dispand by this lower abv) and the correct use of sodium carbonate (not bicarb, have a search) will get you there in 2 runs, a second spirit run (again @15%) will get you further.

Never done it, but bentonite (kitty litter) filtering looks interesting too
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby whinging pom » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:13 pm

Hi guys
I'm really sorry not to have replied to you all earlier but I've had a crazy few days!
Thank you so much for all your advice.

<<What wash are you using ?
Are you making cuts , foreshots, heads, hearts and then tails (bet not) ?
And are you willing to take less per run in the persuit of quality over quantity ?>>
I've been using a basic yeast, sugar and liquid carbon wash from my local brewshop, and your right - no cuts, except the few times
that I've made gin through the pot still. I realise that there will be a quantityy/quality penalty to be paid!
<<I haven't experimented with too many washes but for me a Kale wash (I used the recipe on here),>>
and
<<I love the wheat bix all bran recipe in the tried and true section.>>
I've looked for these recipes but I haven't found the right section
Clearly I'm going to have to move on from the 'Jack & Jill' simple stuff that I've been doing so far and start taking a bit more trouble if I'm going to move forward. Is there a reading source that I can start with?
Cheers
W. POM
whinging pom
Site Donor

Fuselex filter

Postby MattSmith » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:17 pm

Have a read through the "Tried & Proven" section
MattSmith
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 50L Milk Can
FSD 4" pot (3" PC) with packed section & RC
Still Spirits Air Still

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:30 am

The tried and proven section is a good one for the recipes mate.

Read the newbie section, all of it, then read it again. It took me about 4 reads but I am slow :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

There is so much stuff in that section that you miss it. The making cuts topic makes a lot more sense after you have tried making cuts a couple of times.

Stick with it and you will be astounded at the results you get housing everyday super market items

Oh and ask questions , we all did when we started, in fact some of us still do :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby whinging pom » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:41 pm

Thanks, Wellsy.
<<Read the newbie section, all of it, then read it again.>>
I've taken a quick look and clearly, I'm going to have to really sit down and try to absorb as much as I can there.
Cheers
WP
whinging pom
Site Donor

Fuselex filter

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:37 pm

It takes some time to read it all, but I promise you it is well worth it.

Everything in the whole section is worth a read, so much info in there
Wellsy

Return to Community Guidelines