treating low wines with bicarb

Discuss safety issues here.

treating low wines with bicarb

Postby icewind » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Anyways, reading up on other sites, and some users stick a tblspoon/25l of bicarb in their low wines (NOT THE WASH!) to get rid of esters and apparently it also helps compress heads etc. There is a safety concern about raising the ph level and its interactions with copper. Just wondering if anybody on here does it and is it considered safe?
icewind

equipment: 2" VM, 2" Pot

Re: treating low wines with bicarb

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:42 pm

does this help you out?

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2792
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Brendan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Yep I've used it in the past with vodka. It's more than safe and is sound science behind the chemical reaction that occurs. The pH problem is that ammonia can be created in the low wines, but this is a widely covered topic which you can read up on and be able to control/avoid :smile:

The vodka I made with it was always great, but it would've been great without it. Maybe I'll try again with my new rig and see if there's any difference between a batch done without bicarb. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:35 pm

I tried it once and didn't see any great improvement so have never bothered since.

Having said that I never did a side by side test keeping all other variables the same (which would be pretty damn hard anyway) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby icewind » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 pm

cheers thanx guys. I've had a couple of tpw washes that seem to have stalled and added a bit more yeast so i figure that i could probably do with a bit of a cleanup before my final run. Anything to improve the quality without worrying about safety. :D
icewind

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:33 pm

icewind wrote:cheers thanx guys. I've had a couple of tpw washes that seem to have stalled and added a bit more yeast so i figure that i could probably do with a bit of a cleanup before my final run. Anything to improve the quality without worrying about safety. :D

I would try to get the ferments finishing properly first, that will help with your quality before trying to band aid with other things ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:34 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
icewind wrote:cheers thanx guys. I've had a couple of tpw washes that seem to have stalled and added a bit more yeast so i figure that i could probably do with a bit of a cleanup before my final run. Anything to improve the quality without worrying about safety. :D

I would try to get the ferments finishing properly first, that will help with your quality before trying to band aid with other things ;-)

:text-+1:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby icewind » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:16 am

yeh i know. most of my tpw batches don't have the issue now that I make sure the yeast is rehydrated before pitching.
icewind

Return to Safety Discussion