Something bad in alcohol

Discuss safety issues here.

Something bad in alcohol

Postby twojaythomo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Ok after doing many cleans with my reflux that I built I thought I would give it a test as stated in another thread I found there was something still toxic in the still somewhere. As Mac did mention I was a bit stupid to use seconds pipe from a scrap yard but as I had already invested in it I decided I have to try and get to the bottom of this so I have decided to start pulling it apart to inspect the pipe.

I have started with the PC and may have found something, a white powder like film, is it the application of too much flux that as dried out what do you guys think. I had this soaking in stright vinegar and still didn't come out. As I could not see these parts I was unaware of this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twojaythomo

equipment: 4" Bubbler, keg boiler with 2 elements and voltage regulator.

Re: Something bad in alcohol

Postby Blackened » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Looks to me like oxidation or a mineral build-up.

Going by the design of your PC, it appears to allow a small amount of liquid product to pool around those inner pipes before making it's way out. Given that you've done some cleaning runs, might I suggest that the cleaning fluid pooled here and remained for a period of time? Perhaps leading to the oxidation? And if it wasn't dismantled and rinsed this section may develop a build-up.

HTH :smile:
Blackened

equipment: Assorted equipment for handling various base ingredients. Mashing setup for beer/whiskey. Pot still. CM column with temperature controlled coolant to control take-off rate.

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Curious why you thought there was something toxic still in it ? .What is the test you say was mentioned elsewhere
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Blackened » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:58 pm

Blackened

equipment: Assorted equipment for handling various base ingredients. Mashing setup for beer/whiskey. Pot still. CM column with temperature controlled coolant to control take-off rate.

Postby whiskeyshiner » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 pm

Just my personal opinion cut your losses and chuck it. I never understand using second hand pipe from scrappies sure its cheap but would you buy secondhand pipe to fix you plumbing at home? If I dont know where its been it doesnt go on my still. Not a fan of how using second hand pipe has popped up in a few build threads like its normal or a good idea. Not having a go at you though mate just seems to be a trend lately. Its an honest mistake I reckon cut your losses you have a lot more piece of mind if its new pipe :handgestures-thumbupleft:
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Using second hand pipe is in the same basket as using brass in my opinion. If you are comfortable with it and know the risks then no probs :handgestures-thumbupleft:

But when you read things like this, might make you think again........... :whistle:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby mattcoffs » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:45 pm

What about cleaning it up properly with a wire wheel?
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby whiskeyshiner » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:34 pm

I have had whitish oxidation on my pipe but it was near the tin solder on the outside also i find vinegar if you soak it to long it darkens again with a black tinge it isnt as good as citric so maybe give that a go but yeah errr on the side of caution obviously because your unsure of what pipes been used for. Did you rinse it after each solder. Although cleaning with an acid sounds good in theory alot of the shit like flux is already acid it creates a build up of oxidisation. So rinse with water then you could neutralise with bicarb. Then finally resoak in citric :handgestures-thumbupleft:
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:34 am

I read the title of this post and was ready to say fuck off, then I read the rest and withdrew that comment :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:49 am

In six odd builds never seen this. Normal copper patena is a dark grey/ brown in colour after several runs.

The fact that it appeared after a single run is a bit concerning. It seems solder related ... what solder brand and type and flux was used?

Is there anything odd about the wash.. like your water pH or wash type?

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Safety Discussion