95% liquor warning

Discuss safety issues here.

Re: 95% liquor warning

Postby flamehawk » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:01 pm

res wrote:IMO :teasing-blah:
Simply denying adults access to items that are potentially dangerous is no solution, and no appropriate in a free society. If you treat people like children by removing any opportunity to make a decision for themselves, then children is what you'll get.
This story is a tragedy, but unlike the many others happening everyday it's got a solid hook for the media to sell.
I know when my kids are of an age to be thinking about alcohol they'll be fully aware of the dangers.

With all due respect we don't educate people on the dangers of drinking pure alcohol. Drinking yes.

Most of us would not expect this to be on the shelf. It's not a matter of personal responsibility but rather a public safety issue. I hate laws and regulations but sometimes I see a genuine need. This is one of those cases
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:29 pm

I can't believe this shit is on shelves at local bottle shops.

Most people would have no idea what it is and that in itself makes it downright dangerous :handgestures-thumbdown:

Like I said earlier most people will throw 95% straight back up! your body doesn't wasn't that :handgestures-thumbdown:

All my high proof gear is locked in a fire locker, anything over 70% I class as poison :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby viking » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:56 pm

Andy, Are you saying the LD50 is 7g per kg?
viking

equipment: FSD 4 inch SSG 5 plates with packed section and 100L FSD boiler.

Postby viking » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Found it Andy yep 7g/kg.
If I remember my studies nothing is a poison, same as everything is a poison. It is all to do with dose.

Sad time for family and friends. My thoughts are with them.

I do suspect that there is more to this story than the media is reporting on though.
viking

equipment: FSD 4 inch SSG 5 plates with packed section and 100L FSD boiler.

Postby MacStill » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:19 pm

apparently a blood alcohol reading of .400 is clinically dead, it would be very interesting to see the coroner's report on this case.

media are well known for spinning shit, and as I eluded to earlier I dont think we're getting the full honest story here.

A very sceptical Mac.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Triangle » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:47 am

viking wrote:Found it Andy yep 7g/kg.
If I remember my studies nothing is a poison, same as everything is a poison. It is all to do with dose.

Spoken like a Pharmacy student ;-)

Either way you lean, a clear advisory label/warning OR retailers keeping such drink in a separate section (glass case) with appropriate labelling is a good idea.

Also with a flash point of 17 deg C I'm intrigued how retailers seem to be exempt from any storage/handling/signage requirements.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby benpandaae86 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:09 am

That bottle is normaly kept at the front counter in a glass case
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby 1 2many » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:49 pm

That bottle is normaly kept at the front counter in a glass case

Well they must of put a rule in place at some point coz 28 years ago I bought that stuff straight off the shelf along side all the other spirits. :scared-eek:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby flamehawk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:13 am

MacStill wrote:apparently a blood alcohol reading of .400 is clinically dead, it would be very interesting to see the coroner's report on this case.

media are well known for spinning shit, and as I eluded to earlier I dont think we're getting the full honest story here.

A very sceptical Mac.

True. Much like the blokes who died up in NT who drank "grapa".

There was of course much more to the story.
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Postby engine giant » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:52 am

Well, I learned something from the article. Apparently the bottle contained 38 standard drinks, which they say is twice the potentially lethal dose for an adult.
Some years ago when I was building my house and living in a caravan onsite, it was a really cold night in an old caravan. Anyway, I ended up drinking a bottle of Real McCoy Bourbon in well under an hour according to those that were with me. Last I looked, that stuff was 20 standard drinks. I guess the Devil didn't want me after all. I know my head was a little tender the next day.
It is a tragedy that a young life was cut so short, but it does seem to be more of a freak occurrence than anything, normally the body will purge the alcohol, although I do wonder if the hit was so sudden that it suppressed the vomiting reflex.
engine giant

equipment: Nothing as yet.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:13 am

'potentially lethal'

There'd be plenty among us that would've given 20 standard drinks a nudge on occasion...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby engine giant » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:53 am

Yep, it illustrates just how easily accidents can occur.
engine giant

equipment: Nothing as yet.

Previous

Return to Safety Discussion