airstill foreshots, saftey concern

Discuss safety issues here.

airstill foreshots, saftey concern

Postby joel0395 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am

Hello, new to distilling. However have been homebrewing beer and cider for a while and have done plenty of research into distilling. So i have a airstill pot still, just the 4l one. I brewed and distilled the airstill starter kit it came with, following all instructions. However i have also made a 25l wash, (6kg of white sugar, turbo yeast and turbo carbon) and i plan to distill it soon, can someone please explain about foreshots regarding an airstill because on the website it told me it doesnt create methanol and in the dvd the lady distills 750mls and uses it all as is. Just want to be safe. Thanks in advance
joel0395

equipment: 3" Boka

Re: airstill foreshots, saftey concern

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:48 pm

G'day mate and welcome.

Please drop by the welcome centre to introduce yourself :smile:

You need to read the viewforum.php?f=57 a few times to get to know what is what.

In short, all spirit distillation will create methanol. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby Teddysad » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:55 pm

In short Definitely take the 1st 50 to 75mls and chuck it!
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:11 pm

' and have done plenty of research into distilling.'

You questions would suggest otherwise ;-)

I recommend you park the air still up and have a good read of the Newbies section here, we'll point you in the right direction. And please, as suggested, drop into the welcome center and introduce yourself :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:17 pm

This might help ya .cheers hillzabilly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:06 pm

Hey Joel, im new to all this also but have learnt wonders since reading (and re reading) all that I can from these guys.
As for foreshots, All stills produce methanol and it is highly poisonous. DO NOT DRINK. If someone has told you that this still doesn't produce methanol they are fools. :violence-smack:
Anyway why risk it? just chuck the first 50-75ml as Teddy suggests, and, read and re read before going any further.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:16 pm

Just to be clear most washes will only contain trace amounts of methanol if any, it is the fruit washes that will produce more methanol.

Having said that there are lighter compounds in the foreshots that are not good for you, I personally am not a fan of acetone etc ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ekul » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Someone did an analysis of the turbo airstill distillate (no cuts) and it indeed contained very little methanol (ppm). However turbo airstill distillate that has only had 30mls discarded tastes terrible.

I found the analysis online by searching "Fusel OIl analysis" in google. They took the 30ml foreshots and even that had less than 5ppm methanol. They were using some triple distlled turbo yeast though
ekul

equipment: none

Return to Safety Discussion