wooden keg

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: wooden keg

Postby Canuck » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:38 pm

On order :))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby Canuck » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:38 am

picked up the new keg :-D 19 ltrs. Canadian White oak, Medium toast. $205 C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby PhillT » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:21 am

Bargain!! And nice size too. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I wish something like that was available here for less than an arm & a leg.
PhillT

equipment: Home built Pot Still/ CCVM combo 2" copper column. 30L Boiler with power controller.
Air Still :-( Parrots Beak 3 x 25L fermenters

Postby Leggie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Just curious to see if this is the same keg.
I've been given this little baby from my neighbour (old Italian mate "Tony")
It's has the swan brewery perth stamp on the filler port.
He got it in the 50's and has used it for wine ever since.
He only stopped using it for the wine about 4 or 5 years ago.
The outside Needs a bit of a tidy up but I'll have a peak inside over the weekend.
This may be a nice home for a Rum I'm thinking.
Tony said the wood is a Sheoak but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
It's definitely an oak though.

Anyhow fingers cross she's all good.

Happy Dayz
Leggie

equipment: Progressed from a home made keg still on a burner to a Turbo 500 Still. Have been typically buying products from brew shops (getting ripped off) and making your basic bourbon/whiskey using staves, chips and essences. Now the proud owner of a 5 Star SS Pot.

Postby PhillT » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:14 pm

Looks the same as mine, except perhaps for the fact that mine has Weaver & Lock painted on one end.
Swan used to brew the ginger beer in kegs for them apparently.
Just as a point of interest, I turned down an offer of several hundred dollars for mine a few months ago, so they are certainly collectable.
Cheers.
PhillT

equipment: Home built Pot Still/ CCVM combo 2" copper column. 30L Boiler with power controller.

Postby Leggie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:46 pm

This one apparently was used for beer.
It has a serial number on the end which has been sanded off.
Apparently when they discontinued the kegs the serial number was sanded off.
I can only make out a couple of numbers.
Can you PM me and let me know how yours went if you did end up using it.
Anyhoo happy none the less.

Cheers
Leggie

equipment: Progressed from a home made keg still on a burner to a Turbo 500 Still. Have been typically buying products from brew shops (getting ripped off) and making your basic bourbon/whiskey using staves, chips and essences. Now the proud owner of a 5 Star SS Pot.

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:07 pm

nice score Leggie, a great addition to the man cave regardless if it can be used or not :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Leggie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:26 pm

MacStill wrote:nice score Leggie, a great addition to the man cave regardless if it can be used or not :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers mate.
She should clean up nicely. :-D
Leggie

Postby PhillT » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Leggie wrote:.
Can you PM me and let me know how yours went if you did end up using it.
Anyhoo happy none the less.

Cheers

No, not as yet. I didn't have the luxury of knowing its history after it was retired, You are lucky you do.

It will come up nice with a light sand,...just remove one hoop at a time for sanding, then refit before removing the next one.
For refitting the hoops, I used a piece of 50mm flat bar about 4mm thick and 100mm long, with one end having the side ground out with an angle grinder to approximate the radius of the keg. Use that with a hammer and you won't damage the hoops.
After sanding, if you want it to look pretty, use a bit of Orange Oil. The wood is so bloody thick, the flavour would never go into the keg, especially if it has alcohol in it.

Yep, you should be happy, it's a rare piece of Western Australiana. I'm just happy it has survived and will be preserved.
If you are ever heading down my way, feel free to PM me and arrange a viewing of mine, and a tasting session too if you like :obscene-drinkingchug:
PhillT

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging