Found a source of Oak - Raw, Toast or Char?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: Found a source of Oak - Raw, Toast or Char?

Postby EziTasting » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:01 am

EziTasting wrote:... Do you use it with or without oak at the same time?

I realize I'm quoting myself here (is that like talking to yourself?!? :think: 8-}), but can someone give me their understanding?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:27 am

EziTasting wrote:
EziTasting wrote:... Do you use it with or without oak at the same time?

I realize I'm quoting myself here (is that like talking to yourself?!? :think: 8-}), but can someone give me their understanding?

I would use without Oak, its good to have some on Oak as a control sample. You could also do a Double Wood, i.e. Oak then Fruit Wood :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Satly_Dog » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:49 am

EziTasting wrote:
Satly_Dog wrote:Well, just mixed up 2 Litres of 65% TPW
Added the correct amount of Scrub Turkey (Edwards)
Added 30g Domino

I have to say, it smelt and tasted gawd awful (that same sweet bubblegum taste)
Lets see what a month or two does

So SD, any update on this?

I just finished drinking the last of it
It did slightly improve in the bottles over time, say after 1 month
But, it obviously was never going to turn into anything you'd be proud of, or wish to share.
It was a nightly drinker, maybe 2 or 3 drinks and you'd get sick of it.

It was just drinkable with a mixer.

I have 4 Litres of Oaked in a Demijohn, time to try some different essence and blending.
I really don't hold much hope for it.
But its all been Oaked now, so not much more i can do with it.
Satly_Dog

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby JamieC » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:20 pm

Satly_Dog wrote:
JamieC wrote:One success I have had is with Spirits Unlimited Southerner chips. 15g per litre as per instructions for a week on TPW @ 65% smells awesome. Nice base to work with. I have been watering down to 38% and using reduced amount of Edwards Tennessee Essence, but for the wife's southern, as per recipe Edwards again. Comes out nice.

I literally just made the above, and its horrible, smells like bubble gum, not sure i even want to taste it.
That is if you are trying to make a Tennessee Bourbon.... But, if you are trying to make Southern Comfort, its pretty dam close :))

Hmm, guess it comes down to what you want. Until fruit comes into season, genuine southern will have to wait. But to my wife's fussy palate that recipe is as close as it gets. (well along side master Herons anyways) As far as a Tennessee, the flavour given off the southerner chips gives a nice bite to the Edwards Tennessee essence.
JamieC

equipment: Stainless 50L boiler, 2200w element, 1M Copper Reflux Still, Punchys power controller, Water pressure reg.

Postby JamieC » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:27 pm

I am running bout 20L of CFW on American oak toasted & charred atm. Split into 4 x 5L demi's. Using 3 x toasted + 1 x Charred per demi. We are 6wks in now on 10L and is what seems a long ways off. But that's ok as I think, my as above ratio for the first month, then remove 2 x toasted domino per demi for long term ageing will be a good test. Testing at the moment shows it as very weak when watered down to 40 percent. Hopefully this will improve in the next 6mths.
JamieC

equipment: Stainless 50L boiler, 2200w element, 1M Copper Reflux Still, Punchys power controller, Water pressure reg.

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging