Wine barrel staves

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Wine barrel staves

Postby Mitcon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Would old american oak wine barrels staves be ok for oaking/aging spirit? Just I noticed there cheap and local to me, would need to cut them down to useable size but you would get a lot of domino's or small chunks from a few staves lol.
Mitcon

equipment: Stainless Steel T500 with 25L boiler and a 50L keg waiting

Re: Wine barrel staves

Postby Sam. » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 pm

As long as they haven’t been treated with a pesticide etc if repurposed for a garden bed or similar
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Mitcon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:24 am

I'll check first before getting them but they are selling them as wood for smoking food (might have to get some for my off-set smoker) so doubt they have been treated. They are always of avail around Mclaren vale and only $2/-$3 bucks a stave (not flat staves but the walls from decommissioned barrels).

Seen the barrels cheap enough too but it's going to take a crap load of stilling to fill a 300l one x_x
Mitcon

equipment: Stainless Steel T500 with 25L boiler and a 50L keg waiting

Postby woodduck » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:14 pm

There's a bloke at williamstown ( Tubbies I think he's called) that makes port and whiskey barrels from wine barrels. He sells off cuts cheap as if your ever over that way.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby darkives » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Does anyone have a name/number for either of these ?
I'm interested in getting a a kilo or 2.

I've seen the fresh used barrels advertised for $100. I considered smashing them up for the oak, but thought that it's probably more that 1000x what i need

Mitcon wrote:I'll check first before getting them but they are selling them as wood for smoking food (might have to get some for my off-set smoker) so doubt they have been treated. They are always of avail around Mclaren vale and only $2/-$3 bucks a stave (not flat staves but the walls from decommissioned barrels).

Seen the barrels cheap enough too but it's going to take a crap load of stilling to fill a 300l one x_x
woodduck wrote:There's a bloke at williamstown ( Tubbies I think he's called) that makes port and whiskey barrels from wine barrels. He sells off cuts cheap as if your ever over that way.
darkives

equipment: Puredistilling VM condenser & boiler
4″ FSD Neutralizer/100L boiler

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:27 am

Just Google Tubbies their website comes up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby darkives » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:54 am

Awesome, tks
darkives

equipment: Puredistilling VM condenser & boiler
4″ FSD Neutralizer/100L boiler

Return to Oaking and Aging