do wood chips get mouldy

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

do wood chips get mouldy

Postby b_muzz » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:21 pm

i am still fairly new to destilling and just done my 1st 10l of wood chips.
i have been told the longer you leave it the better, but i also have been told staves are usually good for 6months, are chips similar.

any1 else had problems with these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
b_muzz

equipment: t500 reflux column still

Re: do wood chips get mouldy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:40 pm

When I started out I just went to a small winery ans asked if they had old barrels and cut the staves down to toast them but all these years later I'm still on that 2.,2KG domino I got from Suber lefore when a bottle of my CFW was enough foir him to try and toast a 5Kg log :laughing-rolling:

The only reason to use a HBS is to get and aclo meter and one if If I brake the other one , if you didn't do a group buy then use the HBS for yeast but leave their products behind as they only want to be cash cows leaching off you.

Do some research and show us a pic of your rig

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:02 pm

Chips are usually only good for short term being mostly end grain.
Dominoes or mini staves are used for longer turn aging.
But, generally speaking , oaking a neutral spirit is an exercise in futility.
How about dropping into the welcome center and saying hello and letting us know what you’ve got and what your looking to achieve.
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:14 pm

Welcome b muzz. Not sure if you are wanting to know about mouldy as the title suggests. As has been suggested drop in to the welcome centre mate and let us know what you are trying to produce. Given you have a reflux still like Stig said we are all guessing what spirit it is that you are ageing. I used end grain heavy chips early on and found things were getting very rich in tannins within 4 or 5 weeks. Best description I can give of over Oakes is the bitter taste you get if you have been sucking on a pencil for too long. The flavour is very bitter. Hope that helps mate.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:22 pm

Nothing goes mouldy in 65% alcohol...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to Oaking and Aging