Sourcing Oak

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Sourcing Oak

Postby dropbear » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:59 am

Guys just a quick question on where you get your oak and what type you use.

Ive notice some people buy old wine barrels and chop them up but it seems like a bit too much hassle for me.
Can you just get a couple of pieces of oak from bunnings and chop them up? If so is there a particular type of oak to get?
Or do you buy raw sticks from your HBS and then toast/char them?

Cheers,
Dropbear
dropbear

equipment: cranky reflux still

Re: Sourcing Oak

Postby blond.chap » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:04 am

Hey mate, if you put your approximate location into your profile someone might be able to hook you up.

It's pretty expensive to get them from the HBS, and doesn't take too much to break up a half ex-wine barrel. From what I understand people mainly use these as you can be sure they're oak if they've been used for wine (note the ones at my local bunnings for plantings aren't oak), just look for a red stain inside.

All you need to break them up and make staves is a hammer, a butane torch (or oven if toasting) and a saw, takes maybe an hour to get a lifetime's supply.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Sourcing Oak

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am

As a rule most garden centre barrels are treated with nasties you don't want in your bevvies.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Linno » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:42 am

hey dropbear

I buy the 1kg bags from the HBS only because my local has been good enough to expand the range and they order in specific types for me, usually around $20-25 kg. I have seen some good tips on here about toasting your own and i know that the wineries near me sell there old barrels for about 60-100 bucks so give them a buzz. i wouldnt go and buy any old barrel as you cant be sure whats been stored or treatments to the wood.
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby Goldie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:44 am

You can also get offcuts of staves from coopers in your local area, saves you having to pull a barrel apart. I know Roll Out Of the Barrel will send you oak offcuts but their prices are pretty steep.

If you looking for the easiest option just pick them up from the HBS
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby dropbear » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:00 pm

Cheers for the tip guys and I just updated my location.

Might have to stick with HBS for now cause I already spend enough money on grog (this and beer) that I cant justify the outlay for a whole wine barrel even though it would be a life time supply
dropbear

equipment: cranky reflux still

Postby tasteslikechicken » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:37 pm

blond.chap wrote:All you need to break them up and make staves is a hammer, a butane torch (or oven if toasting) and a saw, takes maybe an hour to get a lifetime's supply.

Heya BC is there any other prep before toasting or charring mate? do you leave the wine on or sand off either side, or just whack it all in? cheers
tasteslikechicken

equipment: nothing yet

Postby Astro » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm 30km from you drop bear, have some stave offcuts coming on the weekend ill throw you a few :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Astro

equipment: 2" pot and 2" bok on 50ltr elec keg boiler

Postby blond.chap » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:00 pm

tasteslikechicken wrote:
blond.chap wrote:All you need to break them up and make staves is a hammer, a butane torch (or oven if toasting) and a saw, takes maybe an hour to get a lifetime's supply.

Heya BC is there any other prep before toasting or charring mate? do you leave the wine on or sand off either side, or just whack it all in? cheers

The only other thing I do is to plane off 5-10mm from the outer surface. From what I understand wine barrels are sprayed with something on this surface to help with the seal.
You can leave the wine side on and not char it (my preference) to try and get a hint of different flavour, or sand/plane it down.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Modernity » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:23 pm

Step 1, break them up i.e. knock the hoops off with a hammer (5-10 minutes) (I keep the lids for making cheese and bread boards)

Step 2, Cut them into 1/2 or 1/3's depending on the size barrel i buy. (10-15 minutes)

Step 3, Load as many sticks as possible into a 20 ltr tin (Paint tins are now only sold in 15ltr's) and close the lid (not air tight or poke a screwdriver hole in the lid)

Step 4, Sit on a gas burner outside for 30 min to a hour to char. No more sealer and a nice layer of charcoal to filter your finest :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Step 5, Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until you have a selection of different levels of charing and Bob's your uncle (as my father would say).

* also known as the retort method
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Postby tasteslikechicken » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks BC, thanks Mod - man I love those chopping boards! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tasteslikechicken

Sourcing Oak

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Very nice mod. Love the use of the boards!
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby PeteBignell » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:46 pm

A cooper told me he was giving the shavings off the inside of refurbished whisky barrels to homedistillers.
Almost instantly gives you a lot of the flavours of a malt whisky.

Now where to find a friendly whisky barrel cooper?
PeteBignell

equipment: 600 litre copper pot, fired with biodiesel
Grow and malt my own rye

Postby crow » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:28 pm

I just walk out into the forest , find a white ant eaten tree and gab some :handgestures-thumbupleft:
its all Quirus Robar but that's just fine with me ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Brendan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:30 pm

If you contact http://www.rolloutthebarrel.com.au , a little family run cooperage business in Brisbane, they will sell you offcuts of either American or French oak (from used wine barrels).

They also char barrels being a cooperage, so maybe they'd sell you some charred offcuts?

Top bunch of people too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby MattyC » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:18 pm

Brendan wrote:If you contact http://www.rolloutthebarrel.com.au , a little family run cooperage business in Brisbane, they will sell you offcuts of either American or French oak (from used wine barrels).

They also char barrels being a cooperage, so maybe they'd sell you some charred offcuts?

Top bunch of people too :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Awesome 8-) Cheers
MattyC

equipment: 50L Keg Boiler (2400w and 3600w elements)
McStill TES (5 plate bubbler with neutral and gin basket extensions)

Postby Brendan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm

I posted some pics of my barrel that I got from them which show the char, if you want to see their work.

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2973
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Sourcing Oak

Postby Sam. » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 am

I have thought about doing that mod, what do you need to do to them to keep them together?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bear74 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:16 am

roll out the barrel seem to have very competive prices i am purchaseing 10 sticks of white oak 1m x 25mm x 25mm and 6 bungs to fit in the top of my age kegs! $3.50 for the sticks and 2.70 for the bungs! seemed ok considerin each stick are going to oak 40-50l of rum and the oak bung should allow for some breathing as would happen in an oak barrel!
bear74

equipment: handmade copper pot and parrot,
50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Postby tasteslikechicken » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Sorry to jump all your thread Dropbear, but wanted to ask the fellas another quick question without starting a new thread on it.

Mod, BC and anyone else - Is there a timeframe to charring or toasting to using the wood? What I mean is, would it be better to use the newly cooked stuff straight away and just cook as you use it, or do you do a stack of sticks and just store unused wood away? Does it matter? has anyone tried/noticed a difference between freshly charred sticks to something charred then sat for 6 months?

cheers
tasteslikechicken

Next

Return to Oaking and Aging