wood flavouring

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

wood flavouring

Postby DougyEthanol » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:22 pm

ive just built a bar out of a wood from bunnings. its called forest red, decking material.
the aroma that is coming off it is awesome, its like bourbon chips. i have offcuts and am thinking of chipping it for soakers.
can you use any timbers for your spririt? does the alcohol kill anything bad in it?
i have many varieties of timber on my block. was thinking of trying chipping/soaking different timbers.
DougyEthanol

equipment: Reflux Still

Re: wood flavouring

Postby SBB » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Quite the opposite Dougy, a lot of Australian Natives and for that matter timbers world wide have things in them you wont want to be drinking. Im sure others will be along soon to elaborate. There are already a few threads on this forum regarding this subject......just cant find them right now.
Having said that there is also a pretty extensive list of timbers that can be used, and I cant lay hand to that right now either.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Kimbo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 pm

:text-+1:
As a general rule just stick to the Oaks- American, French, English,Hungarian........ BUT NOT TASSIE or SHEOAK :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Crow is a bit more up to speed than me but i would go as far to say No Australian timber unfortunately :crying-blue:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby SBB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:07 am

This link may help a little, make of it what you will,
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=33487
Some interesting stuff here as well on the types of woods used over the years by coopers, some good some not so good.
http://www.nicks.com.au/index.aspx?link_id=76.1499
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Return to Oaking and Aging