Australian woods

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Australian woods

Postby revheadjr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi everyone this maybe a silly question but are there any Aussie wood that can be used fo aging whiskey on ?? :think:
revheadjr

equipment: 5L pot still
about to build a bigger one :D

Re: Australian woods

Postby C2H6O » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:44 pm

This thread might give you some ideas

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5023

good luck
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby sp0rk » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Some Australian Oaks and Sugar Maples should be right to use
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby huggy_b » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Bundy have their "red rum" which is filtered through red gum - may be worth an experiment?
Although I'd suggest if they've used it to filter, they may have tried aging on it also. Maybe? Maybe not.....
huggy_b

equipment: 4" glasser (5 plates)

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Read the thread linked above, huggy... Don't put your spirit anywhere near eucalyptus...

This one
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby C2H6O » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Don't put your spirit anywhere near eucalyptus...

This one

I agree, i think Bundy filter their booze through the charcoal hence the nasties in the oils are burnt off. At the end of the day take the advice of Crow and the others in that thread and be 100% you know about the timber you choose.. Always air on the side of caution just because there is no info doesn't mean its good, just means someone hasn't killed them self yet (sorry im not really a pessimist) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby revheadjr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks guys from reading that post it sounds like cherry tree is worth a try, is there any other places to get oak chips besides the home brew shops ??
revheadjr

Postby Kimbo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:42 pm

Yep, the group buys that happen here now & then are great, you could also scrounge around for a half oak barrel :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Places that make barrels would usually be willing to sell off cuts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:14 pm

"Roll out the barrel" in QLD apparently sell quite reasonable bags of Oak off cuts at resonable prices.

Word had it that the office lady is very nice to deal with

Ibelieve google will find
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Marbled » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:27 am

I'll second that, $20 will get you a box of lovely offcuts, which still need splitting down further, weighing in between 6 and 7kilo.
Good stuff.
Chars well on the BBQ with the snags!
I'm trying some un charred too.
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Postby Brendan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:37 am

huggy_b wrote:Although I'd suggest if they've used it to filter, they may have tried aging on it also. Maybe? Maybe not.....

I don't think so...as far as I'm aware, all/most of Bundy's ageing is on a Canadian maple of some sort...

I'll add to the props for ROTB, I have one of their exceptional barrels and will be buying more when funds allow :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Marbled » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:40 am

By the way, I agree about using eucolyptus, I tried it and had herds of bloody koalas following me around for months.

Avoid at all costs.
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Postby SBB » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:20 am

Brendan wrote:all/most of Bundy's ageing is on a Canadian maple of some sort...

I think you will find that they use American Oak for all the big aging vats, The oak comes from one fairly specific area of the USA. Something to do with the climatic conditions of that area.
They oak and age smaller amounts for their Master Distillers range in assorted second hand barrels from the wine industry.
Im sure Yummy will know more as hes looked into it more than I have.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Brendan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:13 am

SBB wrote:
Brendan wrote:all/most of Bundy's ageing is on a Canadian maple of some sort...

I think you will find that they use American Oak for all the big aging vats, The oak comes from one fairly specific area of the USA. Something to do with the climatic conditions of that area.
They oak and age smaller amounts for their Master Distillers range in assorted second hand barrels from the wine industry.
Im sure Yummy will know more as hes looked into it more than I have.

I thought I remembered from the tour that it was from Canada (but yeah would be white oak, not maple). I did take that tour before I got into distilling though, so I've likely got my wires crossed...I distinctly remember something to do with Canada in the process though...

I recall them saying that 90 something percent (98%?) of Bundy Rum was sold in Australia, and the other few percent exported to Canada and UK...that might be what I was thinking.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby SBB » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:23 pm

The unusual thing about Bundy aging is that the oak is use as is , raw or white, in other words it is not toasted or charred. I would say that plays a part in its "unique" flavour.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby revheadjr » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks all I think I will send my father in to roll out the barrel as he fishes out that way,
thanks so much for the info with out it I'd still be going in to the home brew shop
revheadjr

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:06 pm

SBB wrote:I think you will find that they use American Oak for all the big aging vats, The oak comes from one fairly specific area of the USA. Something to do with the climatic conditions of that area.

According to their site ( Bundy) , thanks for the links Salty , its Appalachian Mountain white Oak

And I also recon you are on the money about the vats not being charred or toasted .The bond stores are a potential bomb as they oak at around 78% ABV .
Those vats are built on site with all hand tools to eliminate any possibility of a spark .....I can't seem to think they would pull out a flame thrower to char or toast the inside of a newly made vat with $5million dollars worth surrounding them :think:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Return to Oaking and Aging