Oaking UJSM

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Oaking UJSM

Postby SBB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Diluted my first attempt at a UJSM style whisky down to 65% today....I now have 2 demijohns with a bit over 2.5 L in each. Ive done a fair bit of searching around looking for different ideas on oaking this stuff.
One of the more helpful threads that I came across was this by Pintoshine on Artisan Distiller.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1838
I want do both lots a bit differently to see what the result is and which I like better.
Ive broken the oak up into roughly 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch by 6 inch pieces, Ive charred some and intend to give some a heavy toast.
What I want to know is this...everyone seems to say less oak for longer is better......now if I follow the information in the above link Im going to end up with about 10 sticks to 5 L....which is way more than I imagined Id be using. Is this to much or about right????
Some advise from those with experience at oaking would be appreciated.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: Oaking UJSM

Postby olddog » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:57 pm

Sounds a bit much to me. I usually put two chunks matchbox size per 4lt, heavily chard, and leave for 6 months. It turns out good with good colour without that overpowering burned stick taste.
olddog

equipment: Flute Mk 11 4 plate column with single 2" bubble caps

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:48 pm

SBB I've been using 2-3 toasted oak sticks per 5litres @ 65% for around a month, then cut back to 1 stick per sealed demijohn for as long as possible. I'm sipping on some UJSM and cola I started oaking this way in April now and its tasty.... :D
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Postby R-sole » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:32 am

!0 is a lot, half that would be better. If you use more it just means it takes on the colour and flavour quicker and you have to keep a close eye on it or it'll start tasting like wood.
It'll still take the same amount of time to mellow and meld and get that syrupy honeyness that a good spirit has, a year or more. Although quite drinkable after 4-6 months.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby tickle » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:02 am

how were the results?
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby SBB » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:25 am

That lot was drunk long ago, but it turned out fine. Ive stuck to this amount of oak for future oakings. I do take a couple of sticks out after a month ,once its colored up
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Return to Oaking and Aging