Stevia as a fixative

All flavoring discussions go here.

Stevia as a fixative

Postby resist » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:10 pm

Hi all, I hope its OK to start a new thread on this topic. I found it mentioned in a few very old threads, but this seems important enough to warrant its own dedicated thread?

The concept of a "fixative" is new to me as a beginner, but I'm glad I discovered it early on. Would be a shame going to the trouble to carefully produce, flavour and age it, only to be disappointed in a few years because the flavour is muddy.

For any other beginners reading, here is the jist of it: Adding a fixative to flavoured spirits helps preserve the flavour. If anyone feels like adding a more detailed description, please do!

For those already using Stevia as a fixative, do you know the minimum amount per litre to achieve the fixative effects (not worried about sweetening)? I see pure Stevia is quite expensive, so I don't want to use more than necessary.

Keen to hear more experiences, advice, processes etc when it comes to fixatives. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
resist

equipment: T500 reflux

Re: Stevia as a fixative

Postby bluc » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:47 pm

Are we talking gin or brown spirits?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Carol » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:32 pm

I used some stevia solution in an orange vodka and a lemon vodka (I think I was following a recipe by The Doctor). I found it added a lot of sweetness and a bit of an odd taste so I would not do that again. Possibly I used too much. I will try to find my notes as to the quantity and report back.
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby resist » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:26 am

bluc wrote:Are we talking gin or brown spirits?

I don't know whether this principal applies to one or the other, or both. Anyone?

Personally I've only got a reflux still right now, so I'm infusing flavours into a netural spirit.

I see there is some science behind "fixatives", a quick google search shows they're used in the perfume industry. Perfumes are basically just plant oils suspended in ethanol. Based on that, you'd think the scientific principal is fairly universal, and should apply to any beverage containing plant oils suspended in ethanol. So definitely gin and vodka. Maybe rum, but perhaps not whiskey? Stevia isn't the only fixative, for those beverages that don't need sweetness.

Does anyone know about fixative usage in the commercial spirit industry? Is this how brands like Absolut cram in so much flavour?
resist

equipment: T500 reflux

Postby RC Al » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:56 pm

resist wrote: Idon't know whether this ? Is this how brands like Absolut cram in so much flavour?

Absolute and most commercial vodkas owe thier taste to broad cuts, theres plenty of flavour in tails, mostly they then throw it at some carbon filtering afterwards to make it drinkable.

Try the wheatbix wash through your unit with out added essence, see what you think.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby BSC_Kilby » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:21 am

I've never heard of Stevia as a fixative?

The use of fixatives has been driven predominantly by their use in perfumes to achieve the same result. It tends to preserve (for want of a better word) aroma more than flavour. It will help give a bit of definition to the botanicals you use, but it won't help it taste the same over long periods (more than 12 months).
BSC_Kilby

equipment: Big still

Return to Flavoring