White sambuca

All flavoring discussions go here.

White sambuca

Postby googe » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:14 pm

Hey all, made this before, all i can say is fuck yeah!!!. One of my fav shots and its alot smoother than the shop brought one.

2 cups 40% neutral spirit
7 drops aniseed essential oil
1 3/4 cups sugar syrup
1 tsp glycerin

Put the oil into the spirit and give a good shake, mix into the sugar glycerin brew. Give it a few days, a week to infuse a bit.
googe

Re: White sambuca

Postby Geoff » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Sounds interesting, I am going to try it. 2 questions:

What sort of shop has aniseed oil?
What have you tried in terms of essences to compare with?
I normally use Willards black pre-mix and it is excellent.
Geoff

Postby googe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:24 am

G'day Geoff, the missus said try health shops first, then have a look online, if you get stuck, give me a buzz, my missus can get it. I havnt compaired it to other essences, just the stuff ya buy commercially. Tastes even better after a few days. Ive read a bit about essences and looks like you get about 1.5L per essence bottle? at between $10-$17? . I did a quick calculation before and i should get about 40 750ml bottles out of one 15ml essential oil bottle, all for $7 :laughing-rolling:
googe

Postby NotBenStiller » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:50 am

My missus makes fragrances for us with essential oils using vodka as the base transport spray.
Some of the oils can get pretty pricey (some 10 or 15mL bottle can be over $40-50) - but you are only using a few drops at a time so, as googe's calcs show, it would still work out cheaper than HBS essences
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Geoff » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:40 pm

googe wrote:G'day Geoff, the missus said try health shops first, then have a look online, if you get stuck, give me a buzz, my missus can get it. I havnt compaired it to other essences, just the stuff ya buy commercially. Tastes even better after a few days. Ive read a bit about essences and looks like you get about 1.5L per essence bottle? at between $10-$17? . I did a quick calculation before and i should get about 40 750ml bottles out of one 15ml essential oil bottle, all for $7 :laughing-rolling:

OK, I'll try that thanks googe. The Samuel Willards is about $13 and makes 1.125 litre. Bit pricey really but not if you compare with Galliano.
Geoff

Postby googe » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:14 pm

No worries mate, yeah its dear shit from the shop hey. Good luck.
googe

White sambuca

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Just made a batch. Bewdiful! This ones goin straight to the pool room! Cheers for the post!!
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Bnr032 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:14 pm

i must say on making this today it does smell pretty good.. will wait for it to settle before tasting...
Althought maybe im a different generation... but i actually had to go and google conversions.. damn imperial measurements...
Bnr032

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux

Postby googe » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Good stuff fella's :), glad you like it, must say it smoothes out heaps when its sat for a while. Doesnt have the big bite like the shop brought stuff. Im doing the next batch at maybe 50-60% :D
googe

Postby Boomgate » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:55 am

googe wrote:Good stuff fella's :), glad you like it, must say it smoothes out heaps when its sat for a while. Doesnt have the big bite like the shop brought stuff. Im doing the next batch at maybe 50-60% :D

Yeah you are using 2 cups at 40% and adding 1.5 cups sugar syrup, that would bring the ratio down to 25% ish... its normally sold in the shops at 40%.

Sounds like a nice recipe though.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby googe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:04 am

Had some of this though the week that had been sitting for 2 months, bloody hell.it's nice, shits over the shop brought stuff. Doesn't seen to be the case boomgate, it's got more than enough fire now it's sat a while :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Return to Flavoring