Butterscotch

All flavoring discussions go here.

Butterscotch

Postby Linny » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Went to Bitter And Twisted today in Newcastle . tried my hand of a butterscotch moonshine , and i think i fell in love !!!

anyone know of any butterscotch liquore recipe's from a neutral ??? I'm new to this and had only made a bourbon from a essence
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Re: Butterscotch

Postby Lowndsey » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:48 pm

http://homedistiller.org/flavor/flavour/butter
There's a couple recipes on the main site of HD for Butterscotch schnappsI have always wanted to have a go at but never got around to.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Linny wrote:Went to Bitter And Twisted today in Newcastle . tried my hand of a butterscotch moonshine , and i think i fell in love !!!

anyone know of any butterscotch liquore recipe's from a neutral ??? I'm new to this and had only made a bourbon from a essence

Was lucky enough to be over there last year for it, tried a chilli moonshine as one of the first drinks and fucked my tastebuds for about an hour :violence-smack:

Not a bad show though. did you do the tour of the jail with the ex-cons?

Sorry little :text-offtopic:

Don't know anything about butterscotch....
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Linny » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Yeah i tried that last year , made the same mistake ,,,, :scared-eek: this time i enjoyed it more , did a hot lap to see what was there then decided what i wanted to try ,,, rather than trying everything
Linny

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Think I may asked the bloke a couple too many questions about distilling.... :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby The Stig » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 pm

I have made this a couple of times, its not bad at all. Its best left to age for a few weeks.

http://stillspirits.com/au/flavour-esse ... napps.html
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Linny » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Lowndsey wrote:http://homedistiller.org/flavor/flavour/butter
There's a couple recipes on the main site of HD for Butterscotch schnappsI have always wanted to have a go at but never got around to.

i had some extra neutral left over from doing a quick double, so i watered down to 38% and made 1L of redskin vodka and 1L of the abover butterscotch.... smells nice but the butterscotch is having trouble mixing , might take a week for it to blend. Looks promising but. still have enough to make 1 more litre ,,, though i might save that and leave it as a neutral... should really start stocking up on neutral but i keep on making different flavours !!! WHENS IT GOING TO STOP LOL :teasing-tease:
Linny

Butterscotch

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:50 am

Yea building up ur stocks is tough work, especially when u keep drinking it :)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Linny » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Just thought i would update ... finally finished the butterscotch and redskin vodka.... both turned out really well. both have been filtered 3x with coffee filters ... to be honest could probably go another time ,,,, but so time consuming.

the redskin vodka i just mixed 1L 40% neutral with a bag of redskins , shook , and let site for a week .... really nice on lemonade

the butterscotch took forever, followed the HD recipe and cut the butter down ,,,, a bit . thought i would post pics to motivate others :handgestures-thumbupleft: as a mixer the ABV % is fine, but if your like me and like to sip away on butterscotch , i would probably make it a bit stronger (45%??) to compensate the dilution of the sugar mix etc.
Linny

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:35 pm

Linny does it keep like it is in the pic or does it seperate?
Urrazeb

Postby Linny » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Stays like that. Without filter it has about 3mm butter?? on the bottom. With a foam on the top... Took at least 8 days to mix. I reckon that if I chuck it in the fridge it would turn more into a liquere
Linny

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:40 pm

did you filter it cold so the butter fat solidifies? or did the filter seem to catch it anyway?
Urrazeb

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Looks yummy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby audistiller » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:51 am

Having made a few bottles of Butterscotch Schnapps with different essences, I would recommend the Samual Willard's premix as the best. It mixes very well and doesn't appear to separate after time like the ICON Liqueur one does. I always keep my Butterscotch Schnapps in the freezer so its always nice and cold ready for shot glasses.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby Linny » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:01 am

Urrazeb wrote:did you filter it cold so the butter fat solidifies? or did the filter seem to catch it anyway?

I didn't put it cold. Good. Idea, may need to do that next time. I filtered it because it didn't look yum lol. Taste didn't change. To be 100% clear, it could probably use one more filter. So I would have used 4 paper coffee filters... Is there a better way?? Works well but takes forever.
Linny

Butterscotch

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:15 am

You can try a cotton ball in the bottom of your funnel.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby rustee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 am

Urrazeb wrote:Linny does it keep like it is in the pic or does it seperate?

I made this exactly like it says on the HD website and put it in the fridge. It does seperate, but i dont worry about it too much i just give it a good shake before i pour it out and down the hatch. Warms the cockles of me heart - yum :-D
rustee

equipment: 3" - 4 Plate Bubbler
Offset head 2" LM column still
50L keg boiler on gas

Butterscotch

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am

Good stuff. Simple and natural, gonna have to knock some of this out I think. I'll try refrigerating it before filtering and scraping the solidified butter fat off first
Urrazeb

Postby browny » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:05 pm

Not having seen the recipe I'm not sure if this will be relevant.. But could you clarify the butter first (melt it then let it separate out and harden again), and then just use the clarified portion? This would get rid of the solids/fats that you are aiming to filter out before even mixing up the product. Might be worth a shot!
browny

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux still.. for now!

Postby Linny » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:22 pm

yeah , its suggested on the site that you could do that , when i made it ,,, i mixed the sugar butter etc, in a small pot on the stove, when i was happy with it i jammed it in the freezer for half hour, definately could have gone longer but i got impatient :laughing-rolling: , it didnt make that much difference since it still needs 1-2 weeks to mix properly
Linny

Next

Return to Flavoring