Butterscotch

All flavoring discussions go here.

Re: Butterscotch

Postby googe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:18 pm

Linny wrote:Just thought i would update ... finally finished the butterscotch and redskin vodka.... both turned out really well. both have been filtered 3x with coffee filters ... to be honest could probably go another time ,,,, but so time consuming.

the redskin vodka i just mixed 1L 40% neutral with a bag of redskins , shook , and let site for a week .... really nice on lemonade

the butterscotch took forever, followed the HD recipe and cut the butter down ,,,, a bit . thought i would post pics to motivate others :handgestures-thumbupleft: as a mixer the ABV % is fine, but if your like me and like to sip away on butterscotch , i would probably make it a bit stronger (45%??) to compensate the dilution of the sugar mix etc.
when you say a bag of redskins, how many precisely?. Thanks
googe

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:43 pm

browny wrote:Not having seen the recipe I'm not sure if this will be relevant.. But could you clarify the butter first (melt it then let it separate out and harden again), and then just use the clarified portion? This would get rid of the solids/fats that you are aiming to filter out before even mixing up the product. Might be worth a shot!

Just to CLARIFY :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: 8-} :laughing-rolling: Clarified butter IS the fat and the milk solids are what is left over after skimming the fat off.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Linny » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:07 pm

Hey googe. Sorry wasn't following the post. Uhm I don't know how many exactly... 20 bag??? minus the few that got lost in my mouth. Pretty sure there was around 15 sticks in there to 1 litre...
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby crow » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:39 am

Back home (due to the large seikh community I'd guess) all the supermarkets sell gee which is clarified butter just wondering if anyone has tried it
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks Linny :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Gee, havnt had that since I was kid.
googe

Postby Blixxa » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 pm

I just made this version:

60 g butter (clarified by scooping off the froth when heated on the stove)
250 g brown sugar
150 ml golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla
750 ml neutral about 55%
1 tsp glycerine

I left the butterscotch to cool before adding the neutral, about 1/3 of the bottle is solid toffee down the bottom. I hope it's going to dissolve cause it smells awesome.
Blixxa

equipment: Reflux

Postby Linny » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:52 pm

It will.... will take about 2 weeks. Be patient.... lol
Linny

Postby Blixxa » Thu May 23, 2013 11:03 pm

It's been in the bottle for a month now, still a bit of butterscotch in the bottom but its slowly dissolving. The only thing I'm concerned about is the layer of butter that has solidified on top and whether its going to go rancid. Anyone had any issues with this?
Blixxa

Postby Urrazeb » Thu May 23, 2013 11:59 pm

Skim it off, unless you can emulsify the fat into the mix it will stay separated, there are a few methods for this in cookery but not sure yet how to apply to distilling.... aint got the time to try really :)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Blixxa » Fri May 31, 2013 10:22 pm

Poured it into a glass mixing bowl and then into the fridge for a couple of hours. The butter comes off really easy. It's a really good recipe I reckon :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Blixxa

Postby SBB » Fri May 31, 2013 11:48 pm

Kinda interested to know how good or bad this tastes once the fatty/ buttery bits are removed ?
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Linny » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:23 am

this stuff is magic on milk .... i always have a batch going ... run out this time though
Linny

Postby Brendan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:44 am

Just finished up with 15L of voddy, so going to give this one a try :-D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Blixxa » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:17 am

SBB wrote:Kinda interested to know how good or bad this tastes once the fatty/ buttery bits are removed ?

It depends on how good your neutral is I guess, but the flavour is genuine butterscotch. Mouth feel is a little thinner than the commercial but a whole lot less sweet. I had a bottle of De Kuyper in the cupboard for years, never touched it because it was so sickly sweet. This one on the other hand is in my opinion just right. Thicken with a few drops of glycerine if you like.
Blixxa

Postby Andy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Well I just licked the butterscotch out of the saucepan. Should make a very tasty drink. Cheers for the recipe and inspiration everyone
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Linny » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:15 pm

I forgot to add , Ive actually used Lethicin as the emulsifier... you can get it from woolies in the health/organic section. it helps combine the fats into solution ,,,, if your into that. Does taste more genuine IMO but , healthy me say's to skim the fats and drink more LOL
Linny

Previous

Return to Flavoring