vanilla extract

All flavoring discussions go here.

vanilla extract

Postby googe » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:16 pm

The missus started a vanilla extract last night, 3 vanilla beans and 50ml neutral. alot of recipes say add glocus or sugar syrup, were trying it ala natural. Gunna leave it for month and see how it is. Looking forward to the results .
googe

Re: vanilla extract

Postby Brendan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Googe, I have done this too...you might find when you go to mix it that you will still want some sugar syrup added.

I hate the sweet recipes that call for a heap of sugar syrup, but in the recipes I've tried without, they were too bland and I had to add sugar syrup to my taste...still about 1/4 of the recipe though...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby MacStill » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm

Would also suggest aging for any real length of time isnt going to do much, you're adding an extract to neutral & to me it's kinda like making red cordial up and putting in the fridge hoping it gets better :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks for the feed back Brendan, what was the recipe you used?. Just looking for something that we don't have to buy, we use it a bit in blends. thanks for the info Mac, I think :think: :teasing-neener:
googe

Postby Brendan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:04 am

I think he means leaving for the maceration Mac.

One month is good for a lot of fruits, vanilla imparts rather quickly, but I've only done in 700ml...not extract size.

Edit: Umm not sure of the recipe now mate, it prob came from Gunther Anderson's site (I think it's www.guntheranderson.com...google it)...I think it was only about 3 vanilla beans in 700ml for a week or two, and added some sugar syrup after straining...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby googe » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:10 am

No worries Brendan, this is a extract, not a flavoring.
googe

Postby Jesiah » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Could always try an alternative to sugar ie agave syrup or coconut nectar. Even honey.
Jesiah

equipment: Mcstill Copper Pot.
McStill Copper Reflux.
50 Litre keg boiler with an exploded Keg King element that no longer works nor wants to leave my keg.

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:08 pm

I have got 6? I think? Cut up fat Tahitian vanilla beans that have been sitting in a litre of neutral since before Xmas.
It's pretty good but this were fat oily beans not those dried up Anorexic beans from the super market...
Is go more neutral in the brew and maybe scoop the seeds first..
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby googe » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:11 am

Is that a drink or extract kiwi?. Ours is smelling beautiful after a few weeks.
googe

Postby kiwikeg » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:58 pm

It's a extract. My youngest wants to give little bottles of homemade vanilla essence for XmAS gifts. Next year.
We just tried some to flavor a vanilla milkahake and its getting pretty good. Chucked 4 more beans in and put it back for another soaking.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

vanilla extract

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:50 pm

kiwikeg wrote:It's a extract. My youngest wants to give little bottles of homemade vanilla essence for XmAS gifts. Next year.
We just tried some to flavor a vanilla milkahake and its getting pretty good. Chucked 4 more beans in and put it back for another soaking.

Great idea, that would be awesome!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby googe » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Good idea kiwi! :handgestures-thumbupleft: my missus wants it for cooking, I want it for flavoring booze :))
googe

vanilla extract

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:28 pm

googe wrote:my missus wants it for cooking, I want it for flavoring booze :))

You may tell her that she is wrong and the Internet agree with you. This is considered admissible evidence in any court in the land so you WIN!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Return to Flavoring