Apple Pie

All flavoring discussions go here.

Apple Pie

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:43 am

This is my recipe for Apple Pie mix...or as BackyardBrewer put it so succinctly, how us NASCAR loving, bluegrass playing, hillbillies drink it :))

Equal parts apple juice, and apple cider. (You can use the store bought brand that's like spiced apple juice, but the milky brown real apple cider is best)
1cup white granulated sugar
1cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
Cinnamon to flavor to your taste
depending on how many jars you want to flavor, use that many cinnamon sticks

Determine the amount of juice and apple cider based on how many liters of liquor you'll be flavoring. This takes a little experimentation on your part, and is dependent on your tastes. For example, If I use about 3/4 to a liter of each, that will normally sweeten about 3L of liquor to my taste. I normally fill a Mason jar up about 3/4 of the way with 125-150prf corn whiskey, then top it off with the apple pie mix. A Mason jar is .94 of a 1L.

Put it all in a pot, and bring to a simmer. Stir continuosly so the sugar dissolves and the mixture doesn't burn at the bottom of the pot. Simmer until the cinnamon sticks begin to uncurl. Basically what you've made now is an apple pie flavored simple syrup. Allow it to cool(so it doesn't crack the glass jar you're about to pour it in), then mix it with about 3/4 of a liter of your favorite white liquor, and drop one of the cinnamon sticks in. I personally think it works best with corn liquor. The best thing about this method, is that it doesn't require any time to sit around and get good. It starts off that way!

One last thing: 150prf liquor flavored like apple pie is powerful medicine. It'll sneak up on you, so administer with care and enjoy!

BTW, I don't really like NASCAR too much :))
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Apple Pie

Postby wedwards » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:43 am

Most of the apple cider in Australia is carbonated (unless you make it yourself) - is that the same type of apple cider you are talking about?
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Re: Apple Pie

Postby crow » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:11 am

wedwards wrote:Most of the apple cider in Australia is carbonated (unless you make it yourself) - is that the same type of apple cider you are talking about?

That stuff is generally call scrumpy here, In Dan Murphy's you can buy cloudy flat cider/scrumpy called Old Rosie made by Westons , I think its $19 for 2 ltrs :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Apple Pie

Postby wedwards » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:58 am

Yeah that's the only cider I will drink so off to get some thanks!
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby baldoss » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Loving the recipes you're posting MM, thanks for sharing.

Anyone had any experience trying these sorts of infusions/flavourings but using Spirytus? I tried making some of the strawberry panty dropper with it and it was ok but still had a pretty aggressive, alcoholic burn to it. Maybe I underdid it with the dilution and left it too strong haha
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:22 am

wedwards wrote:Most of the apple cider in Australia is carbonated (unless you make it yourself) - is that the same type of apple cider you are talking about?

Hahaha no, we call that apple soda here. I mean the flat kind.

I hope I can continue to contribute by posting recipes and tidbits people can use/enjoy. And I've already learned a lot. This is a great forum!
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Apple Pie

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:31 am

Old Rosie scrumpy is magic stuff - very high in alc so it does sneak up on you.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:57 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:Old Rosie scrumpy is magic stuff - very high in alc so it does sneak up on you.

I never thought about making this with the alcoholic cider. Not sure how it would work, but there's only one way to tell! :D
MtnMoonshiner

Apple Pie

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Right so when you say cider you mean non alcoholic cider?!

I never thought it was anything but hard cider in apple pie?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:27 pm

adding alcohol to alcohol :)) yeah I think it would be WELL! strong enough with non alcoholic stuff 8-}
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Apple Pie

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:31 pm

I kinda thought that was the point...I must have misread how apple pie works.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:35 pm

well he says he uses about 3/4 - a liter of each to 3 lts of his (which at a guess is 50%) that will make 5lts of 30% alcohol, I dont think you need to add more ontop :teasing-tease:

Edit: just re read it its 150 proof so 75% lol prob make it around 5lts of 45% :)) yep pretty strong
Last edited by kelbygreen on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kelbygreen

Postby emptyglass » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:37 pm

MtnMoonshiner wrote:Determine the amount of juice and apple cider based on how many liters of liquor you'll be flavoring.

Seems its just a flavoring.

Wouldn't the alcohol dissapate when simmering the mix, using alcoholic cider?
emptyglass

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:40 pm

true EG but why pay alcohol excise when its going to go into the air, Guess its just we cant get good stuff here so peob best to make it if you can
kelbygreen

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:58 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:I kinda thought that was the point...I must have misread how apple pie works.

No, i think you read just fine! It's supposed to be some of the best tasting stuff you've ever had, that gets you drunk! After thinking about it for a sec, the alcoholic flat cider will definitely work. As long as it's the milky brown kind, and not the almost beer kind. Adding more alcohol wouldn't be a problem, I just use the non alcoholic stuff, because the real stuff has a very small season around here in which it's made. It's easier for me to just use the virgin stuff all the time. I never thought about not being able to buy it at all where you're at, and having to make it instead. I should do a little more research before I post recipes like this haha

EDIT: I think since you'll be using the alcoholic kind, you'd do better to simmer the juice, sugar, and spices, and then add the apple cider while the mixture is cooled down a bit. That way you don't cook off the alcohol.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby invisigoth » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:40 pm

i only just stumbled on this thread when i searched for apple pie. just a note of clarification, since there seemed to be some confusion. what we call cider, in the us they call hard cider. cider over there usually refers to cloudy apple juice, and apple juice is clarified/filtered juice. :D

this is one recipe i'll give a go!
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 pm

I've been thinking about this point, Invisigoth. I think if you made the recipe with just the juice first, and then let it cool a little and added the hard cider so as not to have the alcohol evaporate from that, It would work. And in effect, would be the same thing. If that makes sense.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby invisigoth » Fri May 10, 2013 11:38 pm

ok, going to try this one soon, but i just wanna make sure i'm reading this right, since there seems to be little bits of the recipe scattered through the original post. the correct volume of juice for the recipe isn't mentioned in the list, just "equal parts", and 2 cups of sugar is a crap load unless its for a fair quanity. 8-}

so... 1l clear apple juice(apple juice), 1l cloudy apple juice (apple cider), 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup white sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 5 cinnamon sticks is the correct quantities to fill for 5 x 1l jars? :shifty:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Apple Pie

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 10, 2013 11:53 pm

Yeah sounds about right. Improvise for what suits you.

I steep 4 apples, raisins & cinnamon in 2 litres of 50% neutral for 2 weeks then add a cup of brown sugar and 500mls apple juice or cider.

Goes faster than a formula 1 at my place.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sat May 11, 2013 2:43 am

invisigoth wrote:ok, going to try this one soon, but i just wanna make sure i'm reading this right, since there seems to be little bits of the recipe scattered through the original post. the correct volume of juice for the recipe isn't mentioned in the list, just "equal parts", and 2 cups of sugar is a crap load unless its for a fair quanity. 8-}

so... 1l clear apple juice(apple juice), 1l cloudy apple juice (apple cider), 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup white sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 5 cinnamon sticks is the correct quantities to fill for 5 x 1l jars? :shifty:

Yes, that's correct. Or there about anyways. It will depend on your taste. How sweet you want it, how much you want to cut your liquor etc...

These are just the ingredients I use, and a roundabout measurements. I normally eyeball it and flavor to taste to be honest, so I don't know the exact amount except the sugar and vanilla. But what you've written sounds about right! I also add ground cinnamon as well, and sometimes some Star of Anise...but just one tiny drop of the Star of Anise is enough for the entire batch.
MtnMoonshiner

Next

Return to Flavoring