Help with alco readings

All flavoring discussions go here.

Help with alco readings

Postby Thumpa » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Okay so hi to all that don't no me. We'll im in a spot I have made a lemon cello to the recipie in tried and proven and have also made a pineapple 1 using the same method. Only I'm not planning on using any sugar in the pineapple 1.so now the question, I put the 1 pine in at 95% and left for a week have strained the pine out and have hit an alco reading of 40 but I no the sugar in the alco will affect the reading, is there any calculators or ways of measuring alco content in say the lemon cello and this pine brew I have made. Thanku in advance sitting here looking at it now just wanting it in my belly :sad:
Thumpa

equipment: Have built reflux head. Finished building pot still with double thumpers

Re: Help with alco readings

Postby Frothwizard » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:20 pm

The only thing I can think of would be to get a Hydrometer reading before and after. Determine how much liquid is in there and you can probably calculate percentages from that.

It's a bit backwards from the normal way of doing things but I'm sure there's a way to do it. One of the more advanced boys will be able to chime in with something more helpful I'm sure.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby Thumpa » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Thanks for help mate appreciate it didn't think of that ill experiment with a little bit but yeah hopefully there is some real easy way :doh:
Thumpa

equipment: Have built reflux head. Finished building pot still with double thumpers

Postby bt1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:56 pm

If you knew the exact volumes of each yeh sure...post the juice...not really

how about the tongue test...
light.... medium...bloody strong

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Andy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Frothwizard wrote:The only thing I can think of would be to get a Hydrometer reading before and after. Determine how much liquid is in there and you can probably calculate percentages from that.

that's how i get a ballpark figure.

calculate how much alcohol is in there, ie say 1L of 95%
if after straining you have a pineapple, sugar, water mixture of 2.5L with an unknown alcohol content (x%)
the alcohol content hasn't changed so therefore 1 X 95 = 2.5 X x% which means 95=2.5x or 95/2.5 which means the end result is 38%

i will add the alcohol content may decrease is you are removing significant amounts of pulp, or oak etc as they will absorb some of the alcohol.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Smbjk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:22 am

calculatoror.htm

Hey mate try some of these. Couldn't be without these calculators!. I have the link on my homescreen for quick access
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Thumpa » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:12 pm

Thank fellas the information shared on this site is great. I'm enjoying this hobby more every week literally ha ha ^:)^
Thumpa

Return to Flavoring