Sugar Free

All flavoring discussions go here.

Sugar Free

Postby SimonBrew » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:18 pm

I currently make sugar free coconut rum by mixing the essence with a sugar substitute currently using sugarless liquid from Coles and very happy.

I also drink my rums / whiskeys etc.

Good thing is I'm down 6kg since I've started my diet love the fact brew is sugar free :-)

Question
I'm planning of making a hazelnut liqueur sugar free my question for all does anyone know a sugar free substance
I can use to thicken up the alcohol?
SimonBrew

equipment: T500 Reflux

Re: Sugar Free

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Hi Simon,

Have you thought of Vegetable Glycerin? :think:

Wiki: In food and beverages, glycerol serves as a humectant, solvent, and sweetener, and may help preserve foods. It is also used as filler in commercially prepared low-fat foods (e.g., cookies), and as a thickening agent in liqueurs.

And goes on to say...
some dietary advocates accept glycerol as a sweetener compatible with low carbohydrate diets.

Not saying this stuff is safe for home use, but just throwing options out there, you will still need to use due diligence :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby jasonc2861 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:22 am

Mate have you tried stevia?its a herb that's used for. Sweetener,,prob make your neutral go green but worth a shot maybe. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby Brendan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:15 am

jasonc2861 wrote:Mate have you tried stevia?its a herb that's used for. Sweetener,,prob make your neutral go green but worth a shot maybe. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

There's a fair bit of info on this from Doc in a flavoured vodkas thread around here somewhere...

Here it is --> Flavoured Vodka
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:44 am

Does stevia thicken though? :think:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby the Doctor » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:12 am

Urrazeb wrote:Does stevia thicken though? :think:

No Stevia does not thicken at all, As an insulin dependant diabetic i have tried just about everything and found that stevia is a good substitute for sugar in all but liqueurs. It has the advantage of stabilising and fixing citrus ( and some other ) tinctures and assists in holding a consistant suspension of tinctures in the carriage spirit or vodka base.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Return to Flavoring