Kaffir Lime Fruit

All flavoring discussions go here.

Kaffir Lime Fruit

Postby Teddysad » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Kaffir Lime trees are generally known for their flavourful leaves Often used in asian dishes.

However their fruit is so often overlooked

Nowhere as attractive as the usual lime - it is more yellow and ugly in appearance.
However a fresh slice in a drink eg vodka and tonic or vodka and cola makes a huge difference and a great flavour addition
It is one of our preferred options these days = it helps that we have a couple of trees!

It makes a different addition to a marinade as well
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Re: Kaffir Lime Fruit

Postby WTDist » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:28 pm

A fruit and veg shop in Everton Park brisbane sells 3 and 5kg bags for about 5 bucks or something. I used to get it to have with my vodka. Not sure if it was kaffir limes but they were cooking limes and cheap but went well with vodka. Also had a yellow tinge to them
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Kaffir Lime Fruit

Postby 5 o'clock » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:21 pm

I prefer to add limes to a sugar wash to make a lime vodka.

Not much juice in kaffirs so last year I just sliced them up and dropped them in.

This year I found some well priced standard limes so didn't need to use the Kaffirs but last year's vodka was not significantly different than normal.

Other option is to make neutral then drop in some peel to flavour it up like a lemoncello.

Cheers,

Richard
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Return to Flavoring