Homemade Grain Mill

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Homemade Grain Mill

Postby dans.brew » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:10 pm

Thought id post up a couple pics of my latest project... my homemade Grain Mill.
Im pretty keen to get into some AG brewing and hopefully i got my malt sorted, so next step was a mill. By now you are probably aware that i like to do most stuff myself if possible... so here is what i come up with. It was really just a prototype to have a play with... hopefully i one day get time to build a more heavy duty version with proper steel rollers.
2018-07-05 22.58.16.jpg

2018-07-05 22.58.48.jpg

The next pic has a little bit of malted barley i put through to try her out. I set the gap to about 1.6mm wide... just interested to know if it looks about right. Im thinkin if i go much wider any small grain wont really get milled properly, not that there is much of that anyway.
2018-07-05 23.00.19.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dans.brew on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Re: Homemade Grain Mill

Postby Pour Decision » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:28 am

What an ingenious idea! Using an old fairlead to make a mill means most of the work is already done for you.

Looking at the crush, if it were for beer the roller gap is probably a bit too small as there is a lot of flour. Given that you are going to ferment then distill it will be fine.
Pour Decision

equipment: 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby dans.brew » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Pour Decision wrote:What an ingenious idea! Using an old fairlead to make a mill means most of the work is already done for you.

I was hoping i could make it work... wasnt that sure when i started. It only cost $28 so worth a try. Heres what i started with for those who don't know what a fairlead is.
s-l1600.jpg

So to make it work i had to make the one roller adjustable with a couple slotted holes, an adjustment arm on each end and make a couple sprockets to join the 2 rollers together so they both turn together.
Here is a bit better pic to show what i did.
2018-07-06 13.09.43.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dans.brew

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:44 pm

I do 1.3mm gap no struck sparges yet but not much experience. I got the info from others that do a fair bit works for them also :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Geez mate that's a great design on the cheap, well done!
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby dans.brew » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:49 pm

No worries bluc... i actually had it set prob about that for a start but i thought it might be too fine and i thought i read somewhere about setting it around 1.6mm I suppose it will be trial and error for a start.

Thanks db... that was exactly the plan. I don't really have heaps of extra funds for a decent mill, especially after building my bubbler. I can always build something bigger and better down the track, but this will get me started with AG.
dans.brew

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:01 am

Hah, love the hope! Hoppers can never be too big or too wide at the top!!

not sure if you've cut/ruffed up the rollers but it'll help with 'grabbing' the grain so it doesn't keep jumping out of the hopper.... just a thought. Looks like there are a few longitudinal lines carved in but I'm looking at it from my phone so not too much detail is visible...

Nice work
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby dans.brew » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:35 pm

EziTasting wrote:Hah, love the hope! Hoppers can never be too big or too wide at the top!!

not sure if you've cut/ruffed up the rollers but it'll help with 'grabbing' the grain so it doesn't keep jumping out of the hopper.... just a thought. Looks like there are a few longitudinal lines carved in but I'm looking at it from my phone so not too much detail is visible...

Nice work

Yeah your right Ezi... my rollers were too smooth to pull the grain through for a start so i did put some grooves in them and through she went. Happy days!
dans.brew

Postby woodduck » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:36 pm

This is a great idea Dan, cheap and easy and out of the square thinking. Well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby dans.brew » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:09 pm

woodduck wrote:This is a great idea Dan, cheap and easy and out of the square thinking. Well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah... thanks Woodduck! :text-thankyoublue:
I was just looking online to see what i could get in the way of rollers and one of these popped up. Well, my brain went into overdrive and so i thought i could make something of it.
dans.brew

Postby dans.brew » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:35 pm

So my first mill did the job for a start but was too slow for my lack of time so i went in with a mate and got a mill master.
Rigged her up on a little frame i had lying around. Motor on the back and we're in business.
Screenshot_20200405-232142_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200405-232950_Gallery.jpg

Gave her a run this evening with some corn and it did a great job. Ran it through fairly steady closing the gap a couple times and this is what i got.
20200405_185418.jpg

Got the corn bubbling away with some Angels Yeast... see how we go there.
dans.brew

Postby Sam. » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:40 pm

That's awesome :clap:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Accessories