Recommendations for Water Pumps?

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Recommendations for Water Pumps?

Postby grehund » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some water pumps (brand, model, and retailer) for us distillers. I'm personally after a pump that will work with a 6mm condenser coil, but I'm sure there are others that have different needs.

If you guys who have water pumps working could list some details for us, that would be great. What I'm thinking is...

Use: Cooling a 6mm condenser coil
Brand: AquaOne
Model: 104
Retailer: Local HBS
grehund

equipment: 4-plate 4" Bubble Cap
50L Keg Boiler, 2x 2.2kW Elements (1x Voltage Controller)
STC-1000 Temp Controlled Fermentation Fridge

Re: Recommendations for Water Pumps?

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Stay away from pond pumps and the poxy ones HBS sell, you'll want one that's a "pressure pump"

I have one similar to this but without the float sensor, got it from Bunnings ;)

If you do go this way ("recommended") you'll need to run a relief line so you dont burn the pump out.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:13 pm

This is the one I've been using for 12 months now, cant fault it ;)

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_ozito-pcw550-clean-water-submersible-pump_2478.aspx
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby bundy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:31 pm

i run an Aquapro AP3000 in a 200l tank, been using for over 12 months so far OK,bought at Bunnings.
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Postby R-sole » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:07 pm

I use a 12v marine bilge pump. 360 gph running on a $20 power supply from Dick Smiths. $40 all up.

I have two of these indepent in the same 600l sump so i can run a potstill and a reflux or brew beer at the same time.

Both been going for over 3 years.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby grehund » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I was looking at those ones at Bunnings and thought they would be too powerful. I have tried the whole series the local HBS sell, I haven't found one that will do the job. Looks like I'm off to Bunnings. ;)
grehund

Postby grehund » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:38 pm

McStill,

What size condenser coil are you running that pump on?

Do you think I'd be better off with the lower model http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_ozito-pcw250-clean-water-submersible-pump_2477.aspx, given that I only have a 6mm coil?
grehund

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:07 pm

My stills dont run coils, they used to though ;)

Yeah that one will be fine, you'll still need to run a relief line tho so the pump doesnt have to work too hard.

If you have a product cooler that's a good pressure relief for the pump, if not just put a "Y" your cooling line and a valve before the coil after the "Y"... then run your outlets back to the tank.

edit: my "dephlegmater" (reflux condenser) needs very fine control to get the reflux fine tuned, so my setup uses the product condenser as the relief line.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Im running the $49 one in the link that Mcstill posted ,,,the one with the float sensor cut out. I just dump it in my rain water tank.....hose from pump to leigburg on pot still......return hose to tank...works great so far....haven't bothered with pressure relief as the pump doesn't seem to be working hard.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby grehund » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 pm

More invaluable information, thanks guys. I'll get it rigged up this week. I've got my first real run with McStill's TPW on this Saturday! I can't wait to see how it goes.
grehund

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:09 pm

It's not my TPW mate, I cant take credit for that at all ;)

I just bastardised the original wording of that recipe so the precious peeps elsewhere didnt whinge n whine about it, it's real name amongst the home distillers world is "Birdwatchers" :)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby grehund » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:30 pm

Yeah that's cool. I just wanted to mention it was your version of it, so ppl knew where I was getting the info from. I had already planned on doing Birdwatchers anyway, but the extra info you provided, and being in metric, made it that much easier. ;)
grehund

Postby Brigand » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:02 am

I've got one of these - 250W model -- http://www.commercialelectric.com.au/Cl ... _Pump.html

$50 from bunnings

I've got a 25mm line coming out of it for about 900mm then an elbow, then a reducing tee with a 13mm outlet (which runs to the still) then a plastic 25mm ball valve, then an elbow pointing back down

I can regulate the pressure / speed in the line to the still with the ball valve - but find once the line to the still and back is primed I can have the ball valve all the way open with an adequate water flow rate

I also picked up a 1000L tank last week as the 200L drums were getting a little warm after a long run but still cool enough to prevent any steam at 2200W

Cheers

Edit: I just realised that its the same as the one discussed above - Didn't realise it was an Ozito though...

P1020142 (Large).JPG

P1020141 (Large).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brigand

equipment: 4" SS 6 Plate Bubbler
2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby grehund » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:15 pm

Wow, so the Ozito/Commercial Electric is a clear winner. It gives me much more confidence when you know what you're doing is tried & proven. Thanks again guys.
grehund

Postby stilly_bugger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:07 pm

McStill wrote:This is the one I've been using for 12 months now, cant fault it ;)

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_ozito-pcw550-clean-water-submersible-pump_2478.aspx

Just wondering if you're still happy with this pump, McStill and others?
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:16 pm

i got the 750W one of them,
it works great, it keeps up with a 6m double wound coil made from 8mm tube knocking down a wash powered by a 2400W element ;-)
Coil 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby grehund » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Yep, I'm still using mine. It works well.
grehund

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm happy with mine, had it well over 18 months now :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby stilly_bugger » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:38 pm

Okay, so went with one of these: http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_pcw550-clean-water-submersible-pump_2478.aspx

4813554.jpg

When I turn it on, the thing kicks like a mule. :character-yoshi: Thought I'd go bigger rather than smaller; you know, so the pump don't work so hard. But this thing can pump. I think I may have gone overboard with the 550watter.

At the moment I've got it in a 210lt tank to cool a 6mm reflux condensor coil. The setup looks like this:

cooling_setup.gif

Anyway, I have to clamp the 25mm x 10mm reducer to the lip of the drum so the thing doesn't buck itself over. And I have to add a 'current deflector' to stop the water pumping up and over the side of the drum. I use the plastic false bottom out of an olive drum -- nice and perforated, so softens the flow.

I control water flow using the T-ed 25mm gate valve, which I only ever shut off by 1/4. Don't want to burn the pump out :!:

Might end up hooking this beast up to my 2500lt water tank :banana-linedance: , but if I had my time again I think I'd settle for the 250 watter.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:25 am

They're a good unit Stillt,
just see how it performs when you hook it up to your condenser, you may not need to make any modifications ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Next

Return to Accessories