How do you man handle large fermenters/washes?

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

How do you man handle large fermenters/washes?

Postby Horn_Bee » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:36 am

Hi everyone,

I am quickly finding that using a single 30L fermenter is not going to yield me a large enough wash per batch, and have accordingly upgraded to a 60L fermenter (pic below) and will soon be upgrading to a 50L boiler. It all seemed simple enough at the time, but then I considered something – how does everyone go about man handling such a big, heavy vessel (especially once it is full of liquid)?

My standard practice with the 30L fermenter thus far has been as follows:

1. Mix the wash
2. Add the fermenter to an esky of water with an aquarium heater (to regulate temperature) – I know this step can be skipped by inserting the heater directly into the fermenter, but this is just how I have been doing it so far.
3. Leave the wash until it ferments and clears
4. Raise the fermenter on top of the esky so I can siphon the wash into the boiler (which I sit on the ground)
5. Move the (now full) boiler to wherever I am running the still (currently in my kitchen)

This has been working fine until now, but I have the following concerns moving forward:

1. It isn’t very practical to lift a fermenter with ~50KG of wash in it off the ground in order to siphon it into another vessel.
2. I can’t siphon the wash out of the large fermenter directly into the boiler on the ground, because once the water levels equalise the siphon will stop (as I understand it?).
3. Even if I could siphon the whole wash into the boiler it would make the boiler equally as impractical to move to wherever I am going to run the still.

At the moment the only way I can see around this is to siphon the first half of the wash into a 30L bucket/fermenter, tip the first bucket into the boiler, then lift the half empty 60L fermenter up so I can siphon out the second half into the bucket and fill the boiler. Does this sound reasonable, or am I completely over complicating things? I know that I could just run multiple 30L fermenters, but for temperature regulation purposes I would rather keep them to a single vessel per batch (at least for now).

I see that lots of guys on here are using 60, 120 and even 200+ litre fermenters, so how does everyone go about handling the large volumes of wash that come with such huge fermenting vessels?

Mick

Horn_Bee

equipment: .
Current:
FSD Blockhead Neutraliser
FSD 50L milk can boiler w/ 2x2400w elements
Voltage controller for boiler element
Fuselex master spirit filter

Previous:
T500 reflux condenser
Alembic pot condenser
30L electric boiler

Re: How do you man handle large fermenters/washes?

Postby WTDist » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:39 am

ferment up high and use gravity to pump it out or use a pump
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby warramungas » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:30 am

Yep. Plan to not manhandle it once its full.
For me a couple of 25 liter buckets and a syphon.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby macs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:56 am

I use 60l fermenters and keep them say 2 foot off ground level. Syphon directly into a keg in one hit. The keg is sitting on a dolly so I can wheel it around the garage or wherever.
macs

equipment: Keg boiler and Neutraliser.

Postby coffe addict » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:41 pm

I use a small pump.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Nino » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:53 pm

I have 3 60lt fermenters and I sit them on the bench and fill them by stepping on to a small step. My boiler is on a dolly which I move to the fermenter and siphon off the wash then move it to the centre of the garage and assemble the still. :)
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:26 pm

I've got cheap Bunnings click together shelves, fermenters sit higher than the boiler and gravity feed
In with a clear hose.
The 200L gets pumped in
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:41 pm

I sit 1 60L on 2 milk crates, the others on a bench, 200l on a dolly so I can move it around and pump it into my boiler.
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Undertaker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:03 pm

If your stuck with fermenting on the ground you could siphon most of the contents into buckets and tip that into the boiler, then when your fermenter is down to its last 10-20 lts it will be light enough to pick up and empty out

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:14 pm

Just go to a home brew shop and buy a magnetic drive pump about $50.00
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby vqstatesman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:42 pm

+1 on the dolly.

I use 50 and 200L fermenters which are located on a desk with the tap hanging over the edge.

My boiler lives on a dolly just like this one: https://www.bunnings.com.au/move-it-590 ... y_p3961555

I simply wheel my boiler under the fermenter and empty using gravity. I can then wheel my boiler off to the distilling room.

When I'm done with distilling I wheel my boiler into the bathroom and empty it out down the floor drain pipe.

I LOVE my dolly, best idea ever!
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby EziTasting » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:22 pm

PUMP IT, pump it real good!

No lifting required...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby sp0rk » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:57 am

I always do 50-60L ferments
Up until I stopped distilling before we moved in July last year, I had been just manhandling them, the bonus of being a power lifter.
However I injured my back in October as a combination of landing awkwardly while trailbike riding and then power lifting while it was still too tender.
It seems I herniated 2 discs right at the base of my spine and it's still a bit sore but on the mend now.
I've manhandled fermentors a few times since I've gotten back into the shed in the last month, which has made the back a little sore, but nothing that won't go away after 24 hours
But I'm now siphoning into buckets until there's only 20L or so left, lifting that onto a bench and then gravity pouring the last into the boiler, much easier
Once I'm fully mended I'll probably just go back to manhandling it :))
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby warramungas » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:42 pm

sp0rk wrote:I always do 50-60L ferments
However I injured my back in October as a combination of landing awkwardly while trailbike riding and then power lifting while it was still too tender.

Herniated discs? A 'bonus' of being a powerlifter?

I wouldn't recommend 'anyone', and I don't care how big they are, lift anything over 15 to 20 kgs (and yes I know we've all done it from time to time) outside of a controlled environment like a gym or a workplace specifically set up for it. Most workplaces wont let you lift over 15 kg or so now anyway (officially).
The opportunities to hurt yourself are enough without using your body like small crane in an environment like a shed. One slip or a load shift (believe me I know) while holding a half tipped fermenter is enough to throw your back out if you're not ready for it.
The safest lift is not to do it at all. Plan around it somehow. Id hate to hear of a member trying to manhandle a 60 liter drum and tripping a*% up wrecking their back.
My 2 cents.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby sp0rk » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:05 pm

warramungas wrote:

I wouldn't recommend 'anyone', and I don't care how big they are, lift anything over 15 to 20 kgs (and yes I know we've all done it from time to time) outside of a controlled environment like a gym or a workplace specifically set up for it. Most workplaces wont let you lift over 15 kg or so now anyway (officially).
The opportunities to hurt yourself are enough without using your body like small crane in an environment like a shed. One slip or a load shift (believe me I know) while holding a half tipped fermenter is enough to throw your back out if you're not ready for it.
The safest lift is not to do it at all. Plan around it somehow. Id hate to hear of a member trying to manhandle a 60 liter drum and tripping a*% up wrecking their back.
My 2 cents.

The lifting definitely didn't help, but the bulk of the damage was jumping trail bikes and my foot slipping off a footpeg, landing pretty badly on an angle on my tailbone
But yeah, using lifting aids is best practice
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby WTDist » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:35 pm

sp0rk wrote:
warramungas wrote:

My 2 cents.

The lifting definitely didn't help, but the bulk of the damage was jumping trail bikes and my foot slipping off a footpeg, landing pretty badly on an angle on my tailbone
But yeah, using lifting aids is best practice

Should see what goes on on building sites. Being a tradie gave me a prolapsed disk. Everyone lifts over 20kg. OHS can look the other way there until someone gets hurt
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:38 pm

I use milk crates with a bit of plywood on top ta get the extra height ,and syphon into a 15lt bucket ,but also use 12vt brown pump (20-25bucks at the brew shop)fitted with camlock fittings and 3/8 silicone tube, wired to a small 240-12vt transformer,not fast but is cheap reliable and easy ta use.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby scythe » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:53 pm

Up until I stopped distilling before we moved in July last year, I had been just manhandling them, the bonus of being a power lifter.
It seems I herniated 2 discs right at the base of my spine and it's still a bit sore but on the mend now.
I've manhandled fermentors a few times since I've gotten back into the shed in the last month, which has made the back a little sore, but nothing that won't go away after 24 hours

Ive always said exercising or going outside is a great way to hurt your self.
Thats why i refrain from both as much as i can.
:teasing-neener:
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Nino » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:05 pm

scythe wrote:

Ive always said exercising or going outside is a great way to hurt your self.
Thats why i refrain from both as much as i can.
:teasing-neener:

:text-+1: :text-lol:
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Return to Accessories