Single Malt Oat Whiskey

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Single Malt Oat Whiskey

Postby crow » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Yes much better conversion second time round . wasn't a complete conversion worst luck but I'll put that down to poor gristing more than anything , should have my act together a bit better by the next gen . I'm returning to SA shortly and I have a mincer there that should be able to handle softened grains as its used for making black and white pudding which normally contain grain or I might stop fucking about and shell out for a grain mill of some sort . A much bigger mash tun is going to be needed to if I'm going to be to many more of these , forgot to mention I added an enzyme designed to make low carb diabetic beer , should help some convention continue through the ferment and help the yeast used up all the sugars as I understand anyway .
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Will be running this tomorrow, can't wait. The wash has cleared really well apart from a layer of grain floating on top, weird because that didn't happen with the sugar head oat wash but nor did that clear as well either . Might do the next gen with 100% malted oats
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby grumpthehermit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Glad to hear it's looking good.

Keen to hear the results as always.

My sugar oat spirit is colouring up VERY slowly ... Resisting the urge to taste test ...

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Grump haven't ya tasted it yet :-o ,they reckon its nice as white dog I'd take a sip at least :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Postby grumpthehermit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:44 pm

lol ... No I haven't ... Not YET ...

I made up a mini bottle of my first DWWG and malt tonight, either not enough oak or it just needs more time.

It's only 2 months old and has not retained much colour once diluted back to 40% ... Tastes too weak ...

I'm going to have to go and buy more Jamesons ...

:crying-blue:

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:06 pm

treat ya self then , for only a couple more bucks you can get Killbeggan and you'll find it is quite a bit smoother
( bit like jameson's 1780 use to be)
crow

Postby grumpthehermit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Have not heard of that one Crow.

Will have a look when I'm at the bottle'O.

Still got a little bit left in a bottle of Lagavulin I bought about a month ago to try. WOW what a flavour ... Wild ... What others do you recommend ???

:D

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:28 pm

well there's Finleighs but it is very similar to Jamesons as is Tullies but if ya go up a bit in price say 50 to 60 buck mark there are a couple of real nice ones , Bushmills malt and an Irish 8 yr old single malt called Slieve foy that i think is outstanding for the price(under $60) . there are some cheaper options to but......nup I'd drink the deathwish ifen ya get that desperate
crow

Postby grumpthehermit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:37 pm

I'll have a look for those names at Dan Murphys see what they have and for how much.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

As it is now the DWWG is not ready for me. Just have to give it more time and see it improves. if not might need another oak stick in the denijohn?

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby bt1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:28 am

As a regular irish consumer and half done maker i reckon there's a huge difference between jamesons and Tullimore Dew.

The tully is a much better drink. Tastes less taily and has a nicer soft mid palate.
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:26 am

bt1 wrote:As a regular irish consumer and half done maker i reckon there's a huge difference between jamesons and Tullimore Dew.The tully is a much better drink. Tastes less taily and has a nicer soft mid palate.bt1

Yeah not sure if I would call the difference "huge" . I use to drink Tullies but changed to Jameies and that was back when tullies was cheaper . I would say say that Tullimore has less heads (less bite) but much more tails than Jamesons and I find that tailly flavor a little unpleasant after a while (churn in the gut) , fine for sippin but not so great for tiring on on :))
crow

Re: Oat Whiskey

Postby SBB » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:09 am

croweater wrote:Koval distillery .

I think you are right there Crow.......things to be learnt from what that mob are doing... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:37 am

I'm thinking of altering this recipe to 100% malted oats with far less sugar for the next gen might even do one both ways to compare them. malting 10 kg's of oats now
crow

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:39 pm

Hey Crow, Any chance of you posting some pics of your malting setup?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:45 pm

Here is some /most of the process with pics can take some more in few days when this latest batch is ready or better still when gristing with the new grinder :twisted: cause I might have to dry them now so that would be some new pics
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1562
crow

Postby Modernity » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Great Thread Mate :text-thankyoublue:
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Postby crow » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:14 pm

Ok well my initial opinion of these low wines is that they are vastly different from the sugar head and the oat/hay flavour is no where near as pronounced nor the smoothness I expected. ok well its whiskey for sure of cause remembering these are low wines hot out the still, they are going to taste a tad rough I guess. On further tasting I think they show some real promise, can see where I might want to tweak the recipe , I'll know more when I check the yield
crow

Postby Kimbo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:17 pm

keep us posted crow :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:29 pm

right I think I know what the deal is here. i reckon I got as near as 100% conversion and with the 10kg of sugar extra it is way to much. This was my hassle I didn't know the degrees Lintner for oats so had no way to calculate their diastatic power. I'm now of the opinion that is is sky fucking high and the Enzyme I added only helped to push the yield even higher stressing my yeast to its maximum capacity....Damn it Ok can see I will be using much less, maybe no sugar and a specialized malt yeast.
Its all good, live and learn :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Postby crow » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:46 pm

about to start my next mash . I'm thinking of not doing the alpha amylase rest ans just let it rest longer at my Beta amylase rest at 67 to 68 degress so as to not denature the Beta Amylase, thoughts ppl
crow

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development