Single Malt Oat Whiskey

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Single Malt Oat Whiskey

Postby crow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:04 am

Okay this is where I'm up to I bought 4 kg of rolled oats , now given that oats have a light flavor what sort of malt is least like to over power the oat flavor ? I was even thinking it might pay to malt some oats to convert this , sort of remember reading ya can use green malt for some single malt recipes ( again going on what I think I read somewhere along time ago) EDIT : Up date I've got 20 kgs of feed oats and a 80 ltr fermenter . does anyone know the enzyme properties of ya average oats eg: how starch per malt converting ratio . I've tried researching it will keep looking , chime in if you know ;-)
Last edited by crow on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Oat Whiskey

Postby crow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Ok asking around it seems the only commercial supplier of malted oats fawcetts in the UK so late last night I hydrated 5 kgs with warm tap water . Oh man fellas you should see the speed this works at by lunch time there are green sprouts every where , if this was wheat or barley I wouldn't have expected any action for a week
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby cdbrown » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:01 pm

How about some :text-coolphotos: to show the process?
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby grumpthehermit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:30 pm

cdbrown wrote:How about some :text-coolphotos: to show the process?

:text-+1:

:D

Very Interesting Crow, how are you going to dry them out?

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby bt1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm a little lost Crow,

you talking feed grade oats sprouting in <24hrs could you confirm please?

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Roots just roots but still pretty fast I think . Well I've be discussing oat malting on HD and the member dnderhead reckons he never dries malt for any reason other than to store it and just so basically seems I should just use it green maybe dry any excess . gota be a bit careful with it as the oats in hulls can get bacteria if you use a bit vigilance , which i most certainly will . Anyway I'm glad I went this direction as I'm pretty excited but the possibility of creating of drinkable single malt oat ( definitively not on the beaten path) EDIT further discussion of the malting process will be posted in the "malting" thread ... (for research purposes) and I'll get back to this once I'm at mash stage
crow

Single malt Oat Whiskey

Postby crow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:35 pm

Ok so it turns out that there are one or 2 mobs in America now producing oat whiskey heres a review of their light oat .This one is made by Koval distillery
Lion's Pride Oat
Made 100% from oats, this whiskey has been matured for two years in American oak casks. The nose is expressive with plenty of robust cereals and fresh coconut fragrances. It becomes more scented with time in the glass - aromas of vanilla, honey, shortbread and a hint of orange oil come through. On the palate, this feels creamy and slightly oily - there are notes of distinct bittersweet oats (think of an oatcake biscuit), vanilla, honey, freshly grated coconut (plenty!) and hints of white chocolate and nutmeg. The finish is of decent length with icing sugar-like sweetness tempered by gentle bitter cereal notes. This grainy bitterness lingers and is delicious. A lovely dram to sip and savour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

Postby crow » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Ok I'm getting some very generous help from some very smart stillers so I will formulate a recipe and method based on that very soon nearly got it down pat now
crow

Oat Whiskey

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:41 pm

Can someone talk me through that still from left to right? That is a sexy bit of kit!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Firedragon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Most micro distillers use this type of still. It's German made I think. Look up koval distillery on u tube it's explained there. Basically it's pot stilled then goes into a plated tower with the concept of purifying the spirit but keeping most of the flavor. They use heated water to double boil (or heat water not copper boiler) to produce the alcohol vapors instead of direct heat. This distillery makes mostly 100% single grain spirits from a lot of different grains as opposed to a mixed grain bill. Unique and interesting ideas.
Firedragon

equipment: Airstill

Re: Single Malt Oat Whiskey

Postby crow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Right bout got the recipe sorted just trying to get my head around the mashing , damned confounding as it seems oats has different rests to other mashes , oh gawd what have I got myself in to .Edit OMG I can't find the linter degree of oats no place nowhere . Fuck it seeing that it has an analysis not wildly different to some wheats i suspect its diastatic power is not to bad and given that it was a common malt until a tax by volume made it uneconomical to use stands to reason it is most likely pretty good one site claimed it approaches the DP of 6 row :D that would be tops if true
crow

Postby crow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:39 pm

okay this is the recipe and method formulated so far for an 80 ltr ferment
7.8 kg malted oats , gristed
4 kg rolled oats
8 to 10 kgs sugar
150g yeast
Mash in oats and malt heated at 60' hold for 1 hr then at 68' for 1 hr then 73' for 1hr turn off and allow to cool dissolve sugar in the fermenter with hot water allow to cool . Add mash to the fermenter and add hot or cold water to achieve 28'-32' and pitch yeast
EDIT does anyone think there would be a benefit to boiling the rolled oats first to gel them, I'm thinking there would be but can't say I know
crow

Postby crow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Ok where I'm up to: measurements in centigrade
Mashing : My glucan rest is completed held at 44' for 40 min .and am partway through my protease = protein rest ,jeez worse than baked porridge . Gristing was a complete nightmare and poorly done firstly the mincer it intended to use is in SA and my big one here can't be operated without a screen so just binded up coffee grinder worked but would have taken 2 days , done with a brick so we'll see . Will definitively get my shit together a bit more next time :roll:
crow

Postby crow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:12 pm

croweater wrote:Ok where I'm up to: measurements in centigrade
Mashing : My glucan rest is completed held at 44' for 40 min .and am partway through my protease = protein rest ,jeez worse than baked porridge . Gristing was a complete nightmare and poorly done firstly the mincer it intended to use is in SA and my big one here can't be operated without a screen so just binded up coffee grinder worked but would have taken 2 days , done with a brick so we'll see . Will definitively get my shit together a bit more next time :roll:

Edit : okay that rest is completed the mash is now at 67' for beta amylase = starch will keep it between 62 and 67 for the next hr
crow

Postby crow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Ok hmm no edit button seems there wasn't on the last post reviewing it ok new post then : I'm now at the alpha amylase rest at 72' the iodine test shows there's still plenty of starch to convert not a big surprise seeing as the main conversion should be in this rest so fingers crossed the next test will be less purple more orange
crow

Postby MacStill » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:24 pm

croweater wrote:Ok hmm no edit button seems there wasn't on the last post reviewing it ok new post then

I warned everyone it would be removed if the problem persisted, and it did... :roll:

So I fixed it, you now have 15 minutes before the edit button is gone :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:23 am

Ok the results are a bit disappointing some conversion seems to have taken place but the tests reveled there is still a significant degree of starch present :roll: pretty sure I know why to . Anyway all is not lost yet , I haven't exceeded 72' so the amylase enzymes haven't been denatured . The trouble is I think too small a mash tun and the contents just became a gluggy glutenous porridge . I will try to get a bigger boiler tomorrow and rerun through the last two stages
crow

Postby law-of-ohms » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:56 am

good read, looking forward to your results :handgestures-thumbupleft:
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby crow » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Pitched the yeast about an hr ago , the ferment have started vigorously to say the least . The head swelled and blocked the air lock and pushed it out so yeah chance it will ferment :))
crow

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:30 am

croweater wrote:Pitched the yeast about an hr ago , the ferment have started vigorously to say the least . The head
swelled and blocked the air lock and pushed it out so yeah chance it will ferment :))

Sounds good !!!

How did you go re-running the mash the second time or did you not need to?

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Next

Return to Recipe Development