Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby EziTasting » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:29 pm

:laughing-rolling:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Glenn » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:41 pm

Doubleuj wrote:id say your FG couldnt be 900, must be 990, check it again and maybe take a pic if you can :handgestures-thumbupleft:
lol, yeap, just checked on the calcs page, if you're correct then youve got a 25%abv wash :laughing-rolling: :scared-eek: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: fuck distilling it, just drink up

Just rechecked it more like 925. But that's still 22%!
Have taken a pic, just got to work out how to put it up.
Glenn

equipment: Airstill
2 30ltr fermenters
DIY Red Dot Carbon Filter

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Glenn wrote: Have taken a pic, just got to work out how to put it up.

just pick one

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=free ... PC0gS83K5I
beardrinkshomebrew

equipment: .....................

Postby WTDist » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:56 pm

why not just upload attachment and then put inline in the thread window? thats whay i do and no need to find a host site

also those things are calabrated to a specific temperature as all materials expand and contract with the hot and cold temps. most likely you need to work out what temp it is and correct for it.

otherwise your gravity thing is out
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Glenn » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Glenn

2 30ltr fermenters

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:00 pm

Glenn wrote:https://postimg.org/image/qjpi3q5cr/

that looks more like .992 to me :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Glenn » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:20 pm

:whistle: Hmmm, flying home late night eyes and morning eyes :-B . Lol it CANT be 900! Each line is 2 not 20... :whistle:
:text-thankyoublue:
Glenn

2 30ltr fermenters

Postby Garfield » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Just ran my first TPW though reflux still last night...

Very impressed! Definitely the cleanest neutral I've tried. The tails were a bit rough but I reserved them in another jar, luckily. We ran it to 82 degrees but I think next time I think I'll cut at 78. Has anyone else had a similar experience with their TPW? Also what uses are there for the tails now?

Thanks for the great recipe. If only every part of my life could become cheaper and higher quality at the same time. Haha

Garf
Garfield

equipment: Reflux still

Postby WTDist » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:28 pm

Collect them all and add them to the next wash, collect down to about 20%. it will boost abv making it have a better hearts cut and you can also have a chance to extract some of the ethanol from the tails. its not all crap, ethanol is in tails too so rerunning with other lots at higher abv will help extract this. same wit heads.

alternativly you can keep all the feints from each wash and do a feints run. this will get the hearts cut you missed. also a good drop with good cuts
WTDist

Postby Revelations » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:03 am

Running this version of TPW through the reflux now. Has been going now for just under 4 hours and have collected just under 3L from a 27L wash.

Initial taste is pretty nice. Sweet. Pushing 95%ish. Will have to another reading in the morning with my eyes open.
Revelations

equipment: 5L Air Still;
Black Maximus Reflux on a 30L Turbo Boiler;
Detuned Reflux on 20L Boiler
4" 6 Plate bubbler on 120L boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:24 am

How did you go mate? Wait until tonight or even tomorrow to make your cuts and you should get some tasteless neutral hearts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Plumby » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:39 pm

The batch that I'm running tonight took 16 days to ferment in Toowoomba ambient temps. None of mine have cleared to a pale pink colour more of a champaign colour. Follow the recipe to the letter on every one.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Revelations » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:How did you go mate? Wait until tonight or even tomorrow to make your cuts and you should get some tasteless neutral hearts :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Well at 95% and a lot smoother then other I have tried very happy with this wash. At 40% and the local HBS "bundy rum" flavor I made for a mate, I'm very happy with the results. Not too bad considering.
:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
Revelations

equipment: 5L Air Still;
Black Maximus Reflux on a 30L Turbo Boiler;
Detuned Reflux on 20L Boiler
4" 6 Plate bubbler on 120L boiler

Postby EziTasting » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:14 am

Plumby wrote:The batch that I'm running tonight took 16 days to ferment in Toowoomba ambient temps. None of mine have cleared to a pale pink colour more of a champaign colour. Follow the recipe to the letter on every one.

Just checked with SWMBO and she informs me that "Champagne" colour is a pale yellowy-pink ... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
EziTasting

Postby WTDist » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:18 am

I dont really wait for it to clear (when i did this wash). if im refluxing it then its ready when its finished fermenting. letting it clear is ok but waiting a week i find doesnt make much difference unless the still has a small column and needs the extra help to clean it up. in that case double distilling is best
WTDist

Postby EziTasting » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:21 am

WTDist wrote:I dont really wait for it to clear (when i did this wash). if im refluxing it then its ready when its finished fermenting. letting it clear is ok but waiting a week i find doesnt make much difference unless the still has a small column and needs the extra help to clean it up. in that case double distilling is best

Yep, tend to agree; just me being lazy I guess! Less crap goes in, less crap I have to clean out... :D
EziTasting

Postby Plumby » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:25 am

Maybe champagne isn't the best description then. Just no pink at all just a yellowish colour. I'm not worried about it just curious if anybody else's goes this colour?
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby EziTasting » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:33 am

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: it's a commonly known fact that men only recognise Windows std 16 colours... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: an oldie but a goodie!

The colour comes from the tomato paste (in case no one has figured that out), the variation in colour comes from the manufacturing process (#1) and the dilution (#2) and is influenced by many other factors like temp of you area/the wash the yeast :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: . In my experience, it not had a great effect (affect :-B ) on the end product!

If you read this post from the beginning you'll see some have used pizza base tp and it's made little difference! I think you'll be fine, relaxed and focus on the next step, and making good cuts for selection ...
EziTasting

Postby Sam. » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:50 am

the longer you leave it the less colour it will have, I have run them before when they look like water but that takes a good 6 months ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Garfield » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:15 pm

WTDist wrote:Collect them all and add them to the next wash, collect down to about 20%. it will boost abv making it have a better hearts cut and you can also have a chance to extract some of the ethanol from the tails. its not all crap, ethanol is in tails too so rerunning with other lots at higher abv will help extract this. same wit heads.

alternativly you can keep all the feints from each wash and do a feints run. this will get the hearts cut you missed. also a good drop with good cuts

Ok thats great, thanks.

Running down to 20 percent? My alchometer only reads 65% to 95%.... time for a new toy I guess
Garfield

equipment: Reflux still

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development