Rum Chat

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Chat

Postby Professor Green » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:34 pm

Patience is definitely the key to this game.

If you're really that keen to try speeding things up a bit there's a thread or two floating around here about aeration and agitation that might be helpful. You'll need to search for them though.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Gavhancox » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:31 am

Did a stripping run on the lasted 200 lt batch and got 45 lt of low wines, which is about 8 lt more than usual tossed it all in and did the spirit run, I lol see tomorrow if I yielded more hearts. Ended up putting another 200lt of rum with 60 lt of backset, with 200 of Tpw in the other, something tells me I'm going to be busy in a few weeks
Gavhancox

equipment: 50 lt keg with 2 elements and controller,
pot still and pure distilling reflux with 600mm extension

Postby WTDist » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:56 am

Professor Green wrote:Patience is definitely the key to this game.

If you're really that keen to try speeding things up a bit there's a thread or two floating around here about aeration and agitation that might be helpful. You'll need to search for them though.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

how does heat distress aging go on rum? i used to use the SCR and hold my whisky at 50-60 degrees for 4 hours to rush it when i wasnt happy with it after a month or two. always came out good as ;long as you keep an eye on it over the 4 hours
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:16 pm

Just another quick update fancy rum has some really nice flavours coming through nice vanilla and butterscotch and also nice creamy mouthfeel :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:31 pm

bluc wrote:Just another quick update fancy rum has some really nice flavours coming through nice vanilla and butterscotch and also nice creamy mouthfeel :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Jelous much :mrgreen:
Whats the age on now?
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:39 pm

3months i have had six now i may have to have another 6 :D you know its good when you want to have more and more :happy-partydance:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:58 pm

Mmmm ruuuum 8-} :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Gavhancox » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:11 pm

I just tried a white dog rum. It's 3 months old, and to me still tastes a little young so I'm going to give it another 3 months I think.

In your experience what time is needed for the white dogs start to smooth out a bit.
Do they take longer than the Oaked rums
Does the oak take the bite out where the white dog just needs time

Maybe these questions should be in the beginners
Gavhancox

Postby bluc » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Never made white rum but had 10l sitting unoaked for about 6months and it has smoothed considerably if thats any help
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:23 pm

Never tried to make white rum myself, but the brains trust reckon that running rum through a reflux is the way to go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby rumsponge » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:32 pm

bacardi are ageing their white rum for one yearon oak and then carbon filter it to remove colour (and flavour).
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby coffe addict » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:30 pm

Bundy do the same as barcardi only aus law stipulates two years aging to call it rum.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Dig Brinker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:41 am

Ageing on oak and then (activated) carbon filtering seems to be the general consensus for white rums. Or run slowly through reflux or >5 plates.
If it's just sitting in a jar is it really aging? IMHO the spirit needs a medium to react with, over time, to add to the flavour profile to be called ageing. Perhaps if the white rum was aged in an open top (paper covered) container it would dissipate some of the more volatile (manky) flavours, giving a light tasting white rum, but it would also reduce overall yield by quite a bit.

I had 1 exceptionally good cut jar from my last rum run that was so good I wanted to keep it seperate & white, but I ended up combining with a regular heads jar & watered down to 65% and have had that sitting on some dried, sweetened pineapple (50 grams) and half a vanilla pod for the last couple of weeks and the flavour is starting to mellow nicely.
Will filter out the chunky bits & water down to 40ish% within the next few days. Or maybe just filter & add pineapple juice & coconut water for summer sippers :happy-partydance:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Gavhancox » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:27 am

Maybe white dog was the wrong term, it's rum hearts unoaked in a jar at 40 %.

I acidently rum my first rum through the reflux, and after 6 months it tasted good, but not very complex, probably because lack of generations.

So it's sounds like oak it then carbon rather than just leave it in a jar., or reflux it. I might leave it for another 3 months, if it still tastes young I'll add it back into another generation bring it up to 65% and oak it. I got some oak that needs charring so I might try that for the first time
Gavhancox

Postby Bumper » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Interested in how to develop full flavoured dark rums. Are they produced through dunder? I really like el dorado style rich dark rums and would love to know if there are any tips other than ageing that I can do to create a similar complexity.
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Feed store mollases even without gens or rum oils on oak 15g/l throws all sorts of flavours butterscotch honey caramel tabaccoo citrus and everything in between. If you like rum grab some feed store mollasses, dont worry bout food grade stuff run it do good cuts and put it on oak and taste it often from 1.5w on you will be amazed how much it changes and the flavours you get. I prefer french but american oak is awesome to.

No fun making it then putting it away for a year or more seriously taste it often, then the fun nailing a flavour and trying to reproduce it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:08 pm

Ohhhhh you said El Dorade!!! ^:)^ where's the drooling emogie?!?!?

Regarding the dark rum, check out Buccaneer Bobs Silver, Gold and Dark Rum! He shows you how to make a dark rum essence that might help you on this. Still not El Dorado ... but it's a start!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Bumper » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:37 am

EziTasting wrote:Ohhhhh you said El Dorade!!! ^:)^ where's the drooling emogie?!?!?

Regarding the dark rum, check out Buccaneer Bobs Silver, Gold and Dark Rum! He shows you how to make a dark rum essence that might help you on this. Still not El Dorado ... but it's a start!

I know, right :handgestures-thumbupleft: Thanks for this,I really appreciate it. A dunder essence will be made out of the next batch!

bluc wrote:Feed store mollases even without gens or rum oils on oak 15g/l throws all sorts of flavours butterscotch honey caramel tabaccoo citrus and everything in between. If you like rum grab some feed store mollasses, dont worry bout food grade stuff run it do good cuts and put it on oak and taste it often from 1.5w on you will be amazed how much it changes and the flavours you get. I prefer french but american oak is awesome to.

No fun making it then putting it away for a year or more seriously taste it often, then the fun nailing a flavour and trying to reproduce it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I put my first 3.5 L on french oak medium toast with a little american oak as well to try for some complexity last week. I was planning on leaving it for six months, I can get behind the tasting often in the interests of research :-B :D
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby Gavhancox » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:01 pm

I currently have Oaked rums aging from April this year right through the September, almost one ever month. They are all oaked on 65 % and around 10 g/l.

They are very light coloured, especially when you knock a bit down to 40%. How do you make them a lot darker.
Gavhancox

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:09 pm

Gavhancox wrote:I currently have Oaked rums aging from April this year right through the September, almost one ever month. They are all oaked on 65 % and around 10 g/l.

They are very light coloured, especially when you knock a bit down to 40%. How do you make them a lot darker.

As Ezi said earlier, have a look for Buccaneer Bobs Black, Gold and Silver Rum. He has a essence recipe in there. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development