Easy "Scotch" (with a twist)

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Easy "Scotch" (with a twist)

Postby stattonb » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:36 pm

i just chuck it all in mate....i use raw sugar had some on oak for 3 months and gave it a try damn good
stattonb

equipment: T500 - Minus the crappy plastic outlet pipe
2'' Pot Still Condenser

Postby spit'n'shine » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:08 pm

Just an update on this... I had Gastro two weeks ago and am still a bit weak in the guts. I would normally drink my spirits neat but I am forced to mix at the moment. So I bought some Schweppes Dry Ginger Ale today and headed to the aging area to make a mix.
The Easy Scotch from a year or so back was the first jar I saw so in went a good glug with some ginger ale. WOW! I don't ever remember enjoying a Scotch and Dry this much!

So rewarding, this hobby of ours! :happy-partydance:
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:47 pm

spit'n'shine wrote:Just an update on this... I had Gastro two weeks ago and am still a bit weak in the guts. I would normally drink my spirits neat but I am forced to mix at the moment. So I bought some Schweppes Dry Ginger Ale today and headed to the aging area to make a mix.
The Easy Scotch from a year or so back was the first jar I saw so in went a good glug with some ginger ale. WOW! I don't ever remember enjoying a Scotch and Dry this much!

So rewarding, this hobby of ours! :happy-partydance:

It sure is a good feeling, knowing that you can make something that you can enjoy! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Unna240 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:36 pm

Not a bad drop mate, well done I cut a bottle the other day to 40 it's been on oak since 12/10/15 with a bit of ice in a glass. Nice smokey Scotch flavor
Unna240

equipment: 4 inch neutraliser 50l keg boiler 2x 2400w elements, gin basket

Postby deadliftsnstill » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:35 am

Hey guys, just a noob here with a keg pot-still, not much experience, and a desire to make some scotch and Irish supermarket washes (bourbons not my thing, and don't have the room or desire for all-grain yet).

How does this recipe compare to Nutrigrain wash as far as scotch profile goes? I noticed on the NGW thread someone said it was like sweet irish.
I'm assuming it tastes more like a blend than a single malt too?

I'll be putting both washes down once the kid has come so I can compare then but would like a pointer
deadliftsnstill

equipment: 50L keg w/2200W element, Home made copper 2" to 1/2" Leibig

Postby deadliftsnstill » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:10 am

I'm back (to a very old thread I just noticed! Didnt check the dates the first time round).

I just decided to put a wash down (even though I have some rum washes waiting to be stripped).
Slight tweak:

35L fermenter
500g 9 grain vitaweats
1/2 tin (500g) LME (the stuff from Woolies)
6kg raw sugar (inverted with lemon juice)
2 Tbs Vegemite
topped all the way up.

I threw in the malt to cover the extra volume in my recipe.

I pitched yeast yesterday once temp was right, and 30min later the smell was already divine. There's something about cereal washes smelling good (at least compared to rum! Never done AG)

I am planning to run more gens of this on the same yeast, thinking for Gen 2:
250g VW
1/4tin malt
6kg sugar
1 Tbs Vegemite

Hoping to run 5 gens giving me 2 spirit runs for my boiler setup. Thanks for the easy recipe!
deadliftsnstill

Postby BigRig » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:08 pm

Looks interesting.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby deadliftsnstill » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:56 pm

Update:
A week later nearly all the wash has cleared, will rack this afternoon and put a 2nd gen on the lees.
Wont run till the weekend to give it a few more days to clear even more.

wash has a good sour taste, will check FG tonight but the vegemite definitely puts a flavour in there, but nice maltiness from the LME.
deadliftsnstill

Postby BigRig » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:45 pm

deadliftsnstill wrote:Update:
A week later nearly all the wash has cleared, will rack this afternoon and put a 2nd gen on the lees.
Wont run till the weekend to give it a few more days to clear even more.

wash has a good sour taste, will check FG tonight but the vegemite definitely puts a flavour in there, but nice maltiness from the LME.

Hey deadlift, have you had a chance to run it ?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby deadliftsnstill » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:58 pm

Hi Bigrig,

Sorry for slow reply, life has a knack of getting in the way of the fun stuff.
I racked it and put down a second gen. I finally ran a 45L charge (30l of first and 15L of second gen as a strip run.
The whole run smelled awesome. The middle of the run I could drink off the spout. I'm kicking myself I didn't grab a bottle to keep as "malt" white dog. The really low abv end of the low wines I found a big dank but will clean up real nice as a 1.5 or a double distillation.
I've got a 3rd gen on, will strip that with rest of gen 2 and the do a spirit run. Will be a couple of weeks before I can get to that sadly.
I'm really keen to see how this oaks up as its the first drink I've made (total novice here) that tasted properly good to me off the spout. I'm a scotch drinker by trade so the maltiness is to my taste.
I'll keep you updated.
deadliftsnstill

Postby BigRig » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:29 pm

i put 2 x 30L washes down yesterday. Smells good.
BigRig

Postby deadliftsnstill » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:56 am

Update: I've done another 2 stripping runs, 1 more to go and a big spirit run.
although, i added 1/2 cup of milo as a way of quickly testing how much chocolate/toffee type flavour would come over - so it's become a bit of a blend!
I kept the middle of this run as a single pass shine. currently sip it white @40%, not as smooth as it should be as i was stripping fast, but like the flavour!

Have you done yours Big Rig?
deadliftsnstill

Postby BigRig » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:55 pm

deadliftsnstill wrote:Update: I've done another 2 stripping runs, 1 more to go and a big spirit run.
although, i added 1/2 cup of milo as a way of quickly testing how much chocolate/toffee type flavour would come over - so it's become a bit of a blend!
I kept the middle of this run as a single pass shine. currently sip it white @40%, not as smooth as it should be as i was stripping fast, but like the flavour!

Have you done yours Big Rig?

Sounds good. Na i haven't run mine yet. Will give it a run on the weekend.
BigRig

Postby Jedstar » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:20 pm

I made a 50L wash of this and ran it through the bubbler, very happy with he result, found the white dog to be quite palatable, the stuff I oaked I am even more pleased with. For mine the flavor of this for the simplicity and cost is well worth while. I'll be making more of this stuff to be sure. Thank you for sharing you recipe.
Jedstar

equipment: FSD 4" Visualizer Mk2 with 250mm Packed Section , FSD 50L Milk Can with 2 x 2400W Elements + FSD Controller . FSD 4” Modular Pot that has grown up.

Postby BigRig » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:44 pm

Yeah i am finally running mine tomorrow.

How long has yours been oaking ?
BigRig

Postby RC Al » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:32 pm

deadliftsnstill wrote: i added 1/2 cup of milo as a way of quickly testing how much chocolate/toffee type flavour would come over

Intrested in this, have recently tried chocalate malted barley and wheat, 10% seems to wipe out most other grain flavours
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Jedstar » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:45 am

BigRig wrote:Yeah i am finally running mine tomorrow.

How long has yours been oaking ?

Only a couple of weeks for the one I sampled, I expect it will continue to improve over time
Jedstar

equipment: FSD 4" Visualizer Mk2 with 250mm Packed Section , FSD 50L Milk Can with 2 x 2400W Elements + FSD Controller . FSD 4” Modular Pot that has grown up.

Postby deadliftsnstill » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:18 pm

Jedstar wrote:I made a 50L wash of this and ran it through the bubbler, very happy with he result, found the white dog to be quite palatable, the stuff I oaked I am even more pleased with. For mine the flavor of this for the simplicity and cost is well worth while. I'll be making more of this stuff to be sure. Thank you for sharing you recipe.

Sounds Good Jedstar!
I've found the same. I did side by side samples on single pot run "hearts" and some nice scotches (my preferred poison - and these weren't bad at all, top shelf stuff) - yes it lacks the depth of flavour white but it's really not far from the mark. keen to see how it oaks - giving it 6 months minimum.
deadliftsnstill

Postby deadliftsnstill » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:20 pm

RC Al wrote:
deadliftsnstill wrote: i added 1/2 cup of milo as a way of quickly testing how much chocolate/toffee type flavour would come over

Intrested in this, have recently tried chocalate malted barley and wheat, 10% seems to wipe out most other grain flavours

Sorry, I haven't done any more other than a stripping run with this gen yet. It doesn't smell like much has come over but it's just milo not actual grain so don't think it will be too strong.
deadliftsnstill

Postby deadliftsnstill » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:08 pm

Finally did a spirit run, i had stored up 45L of Vegeweat low wines and had some Allbran feints to run.
Got a huge run done on Saturday, so have plenty on oak to age now!

The flavour was really good, much more flavour than my allbran or LME experiments.
The flavours in early tails were really unique and nice, plenty of grain flavour from the 9 grain vitaweats.

Can't wait to see what 6,12,18,24+months does to this!
deadliftsnstill

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development