Experiments with Angel yeast yellow label

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Experiments with Angel yeast yellow label

Postby howard » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:42 am

i've been adding angel yellow to spent grains for a few brews.
latest is a stout whiskey with a 7kg grain bill.
the grain was mashed as usual, sparged to 28 litres and transferred, the liquid only, to a fermenter.
this first lot was fired up with US-05.
meanwhile, 4.5kg of sugar was dissolved in a 2nd fermenter, the spent grain chucked in, water added to 28litre.
the 2nd fermenter was fired up with 33.3 gms of angel yellow.
both brews put in the fermentation fridge set at 25C to try and suit both yeasts.
both brews smell great, as per previous attempts.
i might strip and combine the low wines.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby Bob9863 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:50 pm

I'm waiting on some more to arrive, then I plan on doing a scotch run, but I'm not 100% sure which way I will go.

Option 1, grind 5kg of heavy peated malt, 1kg of chocolate malt and add in the fermenter and fill with boiling water.
Leave that to cool down a touch, top up to 35lt and then add around 10gm of yellow label and 5gm of whiskey yeast.
Once that's worked off drain it, mash back in by dissolving 3kg of dark LME and 3kg of light/wheet LME, topping up to cool down and putting strait back in the fermenter with the left over grain.
Then add it to the 1st lot once it's finished.

Option 2, split the grain into the two fermenter, add a can of both LME, boiling water let cool and add 5gm of Yellow lable I to each and 5gm of whiskey yeast.

Option 3, BIB 2.5kg of peated malt, 500gm of chocolate malt, put just the wort into the fermenter with a can each of the LME and tipp up with water and add whiskey yeast.
Do that twice for two 35lt batches.

Usually I do option 3 but I'm thinking I might be able to get a higher ABV and more flavour if I do option 1 or 2.

I suppose I could split the difference and do one of each and see what the flavour and ABV is in each and then run both together.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Postby The Stig » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:52 pm

I might have to try this stuff .
I was gifted a small sample that has me thinking .
It’s clean, smooth and tasty .
Thanks, you know who you are :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby chipboy » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:40 am

You wont regret this its a good product, its will give your cornflakes a new dimension as it pulls them apart, like it did with the weetbix. My contribution would be to mash the cornflakes a bit, 30 min in pot.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch.

Postby Bob9863 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:59 am

Are the corn flakes as good as real corn?

I've never tried it as cracked corn is cheap and easy to get, yellow label also works it really well.
But I might have to give it a try due to the popularity it seems to have.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Postby chipboy » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:04 pm

Yes cornflakes are about 95% corn, the kernels are steamed, some starch extracted, rolled and baked dry. Some other things added eg salt.

Expensive corn so use angel and get the best out of it. I use animal feed by the 20kg bag.
Last edited by chipboy on Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chipboy

Postby Bob9863 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:14 pm

Same, I buy cracked feed corn for my bourbon and rye, but I might have to give this a go.
Bob9863

5lt copper pot still

Postby lest1 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:48 pm

Ive been adding this just a teaspoon alongside bakers yeast per 25L wash to my Nutrigrain wash as it was building alot of goop in the bottom

Its eaten a fair amount of the solids making alot easier to rack and maybe making a better taste (i drink it as a whitedog and it seems more complex and "grainy")
lest1
Site Donor

equipment: 4" 4 plate 50L 3kw
220l fermenter

Postby bluc » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:10 pm

Nice have been wondering about nutrigrain type cereals..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby lest1 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:27 pm

bluc wrote:Nice have been wondering about nutrigrain type cereals..

to be honest from the previous ferm roughly 5 gen and the one with the small amount of angel added was a massive difference

without was a sticky goop and with was a lot smaller and firmer

personally I prefer the taste, it adds extra depth

but I'm a beginner and dot think i should be giving any "advice" , though i was really happy with the results
lest1
Site Donor

220l fermenter

Postby bluc » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:45 pm

I reakon everyones opinions count. I know it adds major flavour to sugarheads using spent grain from all grain angel mash. I reakon it would add a lot of flavour to cereal mashs also.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby chipboy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:01 am

So much so that i am winding back the weetbix to 2 per 60 litres of the WBAB wash, the flavour is on the verge of spoiling it. Give it a go!
Last edited by chipboy on Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipboy

Postby lest1 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:37 am

bluc wrote:I reakon everyones opinions count. I know it adds major flavour to sugarheads using spent grain from all grain angel mash. I reakon it would add a lot of flavour to cereal mashs also.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just wanted to clarify that I'm just learning compared to you and the senior members of the forum

i wouldnt wish to send the wrong message as im still learning so im cautious to post with authority (there's a lot of misinformation in this hobby)

people like you have helped me so much to do things the correct way, and look forward to your future posts
Last edited by lest1 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
lest1
Site Donor

220l fermenter

Postby Dancing4dan » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:35 pm

Grind your grains fine. Add water grains to get 35*c. Rehydrate yellow label in water at 35*c. Pitch yeast. Maintain 35*c. Stir once a day for first three days. Don’t rely on your airlock to determine when ferment is finished. SG means nothing with this product.

The pitch rate is important because the yellow label is also producing enzymes. This isn’t just a yeast.

Not intended for use in sugar heads or molasses ferments.

This product makes it possible to mash grains and cereals at 35*c. Used within these parameters it is pretty much bullet proof.

Off flavour is from two problems in my own experience. 1) loss of temperature control. 2) under pitch resultsin poor conversion and slow ferment. Both of these issues allow bacteria to get a foothold.

If used on anything other than grains and cereals….. who knows what will be the result. That’s like adding diesel fuel to a gas engine and getting poor performance.
Dancing4dan

equipment: Pot still modular design that can use a beer keg or a 70 L SS pot. Steam distillation in development.

Postby Birdman85 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:31 pm

Reading back to see how much to pitch in 100L with 28kg of grains....didnt have a win.

Can you pitch TOO much? And am I supposed to put in another type of yeast as well. I'm reading people supplementing yeasts??
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby Wellsy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:10 pm

Lots you can do for different flavours etc mate. Just stick with the basics as per the instructions that come with the yeast.
The one thing the instructions don’t mention and many have fallen because of is to make sure you give the wash lots of time to rack or settle so all the particles drop
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:15 pm

Just looked up the instructions and here they are and are for 10kg of grain

Mix with 25-30L of hot water (Boiling hot is best), keep mixing frequently to prevent sedimentation.

After the temperature has naturally cooled to about 90°F/32? (dont chill it, the rest time lets some of the the starch break down), add 50-80g of Angel Yeast, Stir through well.

Mix twice every day in the first three days.

Control the temperature to be in the 28-36C range, the optimal fermentation temperature is around 32?, Max you should let it get to is 38C, If the mash gets below 26C consider adding insulation to your fermenter, it will work at lower temps, but the ranges mentioned are optimal for speed.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby BigRig » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:13 pm

I am using 70gr for 15kg of grain if that helps.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Birdman85 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:45 am

Well I think I have it about right in accordance to that then. I may have been closer to the 100g mark. But it's a fair chunk of grain in there, pitched at 35°. I'll keep stirring it and give it a few weeks.
Birdman85

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby Birdman85 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:29 am

Must have got something right. Went for a quick stir this morning and near knocked my head off. Wow I'm excited to see how this turns out.
Birdman85

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development