Licorice Root Vodka

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Licorice Root Vodka

Postby WoodyD40 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:50 am

RuddyCrazy wrote:
WoodyD40 wrote:
The Stig wrote:Hey Bryan , you got any of that root laying around ??

I think his solar array has collapsed and he cant get online. :text-lol:

Na the hard part is giving a toss whether to get out of bed thru the day and venture into the overgrown garden to pull out the licorice root of the ground :laughing-rolling: which is a major task as those roots are metres long :scared-eek: and aint easy to get out of the ground when no toss is given :laughing-rolling:

Any chance you might be willing to ‘toss’ some in the direction of a new distiller who is very keen to make ouzo type drink (to keep wife happy of course)
^:)^ ^:)^
WoodyD40
Site Donor

equipment: Air Still
65l Alcoengine Boiler with Copper Reflux Still (Digiboil)
1 x 10 litre fermentor w air lock
2 x 30 litre fermentors w air lock
2 x 60 litre fermentors w air lock
Scored 2 x 220 litre containers to turn into fermenters
4" Neutralizer with 4 plates and packed RC column

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri May 24, 2024 6:13 pm

Well mate I did walk past the vege garden today and saw a heap of big shoots by the road so yes this licorice root has gone rampant :scared-eek: I do think some of these roots are metres long and I only take 10mm and above then it has to be totally dried so I can put it thru my coroana mill and for the next batch I do have a nixon stone corn grinder just need to pinch the belt off my 6" jaw crusher :laughing-rolling: first.

I did have a look at that spag jar of my stock and as it is years old a fresh batch does need to be done as my trial of putting this down on French Oak for year has done wonders to the taste profile.

Now as you are learning mate EC1118 yeast is the best thing to have in your fridge as that yeast will ferment anything you throw at it will ferment if it has sugar and some times we do need to add that to get the flavour profile of the fruit we are doing.

Some may say Oak is not for a maceration but try it and see but remember to hurry up and wait as some fruit do take a long time and well for a maceration it just how long you can wait. :laughing-rolling:

I lost this years crop of chilli as it was so dry so I an thinking about finishing that half tunnel I put up years ago as my chilli recipe will go down as tried and true. Just process 5 kg of chilli and not get anu in your eyes :scared-eek:

Use a new tool for your hobby a refractometer as that will measure the brix or SG in your wash and it is a good tool with mashing :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby WoodyD40 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:04 pm

Went past Kegland last week - and they advised they need to change supplier for Liquorice root - Supplier will not supply it any more.

Stig has suggest to check out local asian stores instead. So I will give that a try next weekend.
WoodyD40
Site Donor

equipment: Air Still
65l Alcoengine Boiler with Copper Reflux Still (Digiboil)
1 x 10 litre fermentor w air lock
2 x 30 litre fermentors w air lock
2 x 60 litre fermentors w air lock
Scored 2 x 220 litre containers to turn into fermenters
4" Neutralizer with 4 plates and packed RC column

Postby harold01 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:40 pm

woody
ebay has a shit load of it
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux