Rum Chat

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Chat

Postby crow » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:23 am

Ran my rum today (this could be posted in the hows your luck thread)
well not sure what the hell went wrong here but most definitely something did. I struggled to collect above 85% , was into hearts in the first 500ml and would be lucky to have 1.5 ltrs of hearts (more likely around 1.2) . The two variables from my normal runs were are not checking the pH and not adding Epson salts, everything else was as per normal. for some reason this did not ferment out and I guessing the ABV was not more then 5% and most likely well under that. Either way its the most shit yield I have ever achieved from anything period :angry-banghead:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby DRIFTER_016 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:49 am

Ran 50L of Mac's Rum wash this weekend and after stripping the wash ended up with 8L of strip to add to my spirit run at a later date.
Currently waiting on another 75L of Gen2 wash to ferment out. Will probably be able to run some next weekend. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :O)
I must admit that I think it's going to be rather tasty when aged. I had a drink right off the still last night and it wasn't all bad considering it was so young.
Last edited by Sam. on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need for bold font
DRIFTER_016

equipment: Brewhaus Essential Extractor Pro Series II

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:56 pm

crow wrote:Ran my rum today (this could be posted in the hows your luck thread)
well not sure what the hell went wrong here but most definitely something did. I struggled to collect above 85% , was into hearts in the first 500ml and would be lucky to have 1.5 ltrs of hearts (more likely around 1.2) . The two variables from my normal runs were are not checking the pH and not adding Epson salts, everything else was as per normal. for some reason this did not ferment out and I guessing the ABV was not more then 5% and most likely well under that. Either way its the most shit yield I have ever achieved from anything period :angry-banghead:

Yeah, I've had that happen too mate. Sometimes for some unknown reason I just get a low yield :handgestures-thumbdown:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby newbiboozer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:34 am

Kimbo wrote:
crow wrote:Ran my rum today (this could be posted in the hows your luck thread)

Yeah, I've had that happen too mate. Sometimes for some unknown reason I just get a low yield :handgestures-thumbdown:

:text-+1:
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby Bushy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:58 am

Scored a couple of olive drums for thirty bucks today. I'm jumpin in with the rum pigs. Sample of Macs rum is what swung me around. Oooooh rum is not shit. Feedback to follow.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Brendan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:02 am

Bushy wrote:Scored a couple of olive drums for thirty bucks today. I'm jumpin in with the rum pigs. Sample of Macs rum is what swung me around. Oooooh rum is not shit. Feedback to follow.

Good stuff Bushy :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'd be awake at 2am too if I got a score like that! (-|
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Bushy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:34 am

Brendan wrote:
Bushy wrote:Scored a couple of olive drums for thirty bucks today. I'm jumpin in with the rum pigs. Sample of Macs rum is what swung me around. Oooooh rum is not shit. Feedback to follow.

Good stuff Bushy :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'd be awake at 2am too if I got a score like that! (-|

Something to do with state lines and the rotation of the planets but it was only eleven over here. Hurry up with yr AG post Brendan.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Brendan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:07 pm

So Rum heads...I have a few questions :-B

I've just started to stuff about with some small amount of molasses; doing some small sample batches of clarifying and trying out a yeast I have in mind.

Now I know that it's always mentioned that you can't get an accurate hydrometer reading on molasses, due to the amount of unfermentable sugars....my question is: after clarification and watering a sample down for a yeast starter, it is fairly thin and watery, so the hydrometer gets a reading...it reads 1.080...now if molasses is 50% fermentable sugars, and I get a reading of 1.080, would that be equivalent to half the potential of 1.080 (ie. 5.1%)...? :think:

My thinking is, I realise that with molasses it is thick for starers so the hydrometer wont even get a reading, and also that there are unfermentable sugars. But if you can water it down to a point where you can get a SG reading...can you backtrack and work out the potential of your wash? (By halving the potential from the hydrometer reading, and calculating the amount you watered it down to get the reading...)

For what it's worth, i'm looking at 100% clarified molasses washes without any added sugar.

Thanks to anyone that can give us a hand :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:56 pm

PM sent
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:14 pm

Yummyrum wrote:PM sent

:? I'd like to know too YR! :crying-blue:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:53 pm

Urrazeb wrote:

:? I'd like to know too YR! :crying-blue:

Perhaps a new thread? :geek:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Sorry guys ..was not in a good head space :?

Was a link to a link too This

Click on the alternate button ...it is an advanced calculator for High SG washes.

The SG scale is a linear approximation of a curved line which is more accurate closer to the SG 1.000 end..the link is a more advanced calculation that closer approximates at higher wash gravities .

I also linked to this which just brings things into perspective ..you add so much sugar ...you end up with so much alcohol

"Molasses has a Specific gravity of about 1.36 (or at least mine does)
15 litres weighs 20.5 kg
At 50% sugars 20.5 kg has 10.25 kg sugar
10.25 kg sugar in 50 litres wash has 210gms/l sugar
210gms/l sugar has an ABV of 12.4%. (% alcohol = grams of sugar per litre of solution/17)"

Just some good stuff from somewhere else :shhh:
Yummyrum

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:04 am

:text-goodpost:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Scales82 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:17 am

Im doing my first run through the pot still right now, its coming out at 67%. is that normal? smells fine, nice and clear, coming out in a light trickle. around 1500Watt in the element.
Scales82

equipment: 5L Pot,
25L CM Nixon
both from HBS (and being retired)
2" BOKA LM in constuction
VM addon and Pot also planned

Postby Yummyrum » Sat May 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Scales82 wrote:Im doing my first run through the pot still right now, its coming out at 67%. is that normal? smells fine, nice and clear, coming out in a light trickle. around 1500Watt in the element.

Sounds about right for the start of stripping run :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

Postby Scales82 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:38 pm

cool thanks yummy. Its down to about 40% now, got a heap of low wines. cant wait for next generation.

When doing the spirit run do i operate it differently in anyway?
Scales82

25L CM Nixon

Postby Andy » Sat May 10, 2014 12:44 pm

run the low wines at <40% coming out of the still it will probably be about 70-80%

if you have the ability to slow it down, do that (ie add less power to it)

if not just do your cuts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Scales82 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks guys, got a lot of LW sitting in the spare keg right now. just waiting for the dunder to cool
Scales82

25L CM Nixon

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sat May 10, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi guys i decided to give macstills rum ago while im waiting for my grain to arrive. Any i put it down about an hour ago and the yeast has gone to the bottom of the fermentor and i got no action. I remember doing a rum wash a couple of years ago and it was violent from the get go. My temp of water is 18 degrees at pitching coz my water is cold here just wondering if anuone had there yeast go to sleep coz it was to cold or if this is a preservative in the molasses problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated cheers
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby Andy » Sat May 10, 2014 4:33 pm

whiskeyshiner wrote:Hi guys i decided to give macstills rum ago while im waiting for my grain to arrive. Any i put it down about an hour ago and the yeast has gone to the bottom of the fermentor and i got no action. I remember doing a rum wash a couple of years ago and it was violent from the get go. My temp of water is 18 degrees at pitching coz my water is cold here just wondering if anuone had there yeast go to sleep coz it was to cold or if this is a preservative in the molasses problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated cheers

leave it for a bit longer. it will be very slow starter at 18 degrees.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development