MacWhisky Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: MacWhisky

Postby 1 2many » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:20 pm

Frothwizard wrote:
1 2many wrote:Just google it Frothy there is plenty of info they are basically a big tea bag. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

SteepingGrains-1.jpg

That's gonna stop me clogging up the Mrs food strainer. She's gonna be stoked.

You can use a stocking for small amounts of grain but doing large amount you will need something like this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brew-In-A-Ba ... 2f5&_uhb=1
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Brendan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Hey Mac & Co,

I ran this style of faux bourbon whiskey in the middle of the year, and have had the results on oak for 5 months...to say that I am less than impressed would be an understatement.

I did single runs on 4 plate, used backset for next wash and got up to 4th gen. I tried not to collect too slow so that I would carry over plenty of flavour, but the friggen thing was pumping out in the 90's ABV (which I know Mac does for his Rum anyway)...problem is the stuff is so neutral/clear, it's like oaked vodka...

Any suggestions? After seeing Doc's scotch whiskey videos, he's collecting at 80 odd ABV on low wines....I assume every rig is going to be different, but did not expect to get near neutral out of 4 plates on single run (at 4th gen)...

Will be trying all grain scotch whisky this week, so will most likely try to emulate Doc's video with a strip run and then attempt to pull similar values to his on the spirit run with 4 plates...

Open for feedback, as i've really only run neutral successfully so far and am still trying to dial in the sweet spots on low plate whiskey/whisky runs. :smile:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby JayD » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Take out a couple of plates to lower your abv on your first run, it may also help to retain some flavour.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Frothwizard » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:02 pm

I went into the HBS and asked if they had Morgans Caramalt extract today and the dude behind the counter had a look on his face like I'd just slept with his sister.

"We don't stock THAT here". Yeah right, calm down bud.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby Bushy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Brendan wrote:Hey Mac & Co,

I ran this style of faux bourbon whiskey in the middle of the year, and have had the results on oak for 5 months...to say that I am less than impressed would be an understatement.

I did single runs on 4 plate, used backset for next wash and got up to 4th gen. I tried not to collect too slow so that I would carry over plenty of flavour, but the friggen thing was pumping out in the 90's ABV (which I know Mac does for his Rum anyway)...problem is the stuff is so neutral/clear, it's like oaked vodka...

Any suggestions? After seeing Doc's scotch whiskey videos, he's collecting at 80 odd ABV on low wines....I assume every rig is going to be different, but did not expect to get near neutral out of 4 plates on single run (at 4th gen)...

Will be trying all grain scotch whisky this week, so will most likely try to emulate Doc's video with a strip run and then attempt to pull similar values to his on the spirit run with 4 plates...

Open for feedback, as i've really only run neutral successfully so far and am still trying to dial in the sweet spots on low plate whiskey/whisky runs. :smile:

Not too sure Brendan. I've been finding too much flavour with 4 plate single runs. Especially with multiple gens on the amber lme. Mysterious to me why you find the opposite. Same plate arrangement so it must be the wash. :think:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby troglodyte » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:09 pm

Brendan wrote:

Remember every time you run it you lose some flavour/aroma.
troglodyte

equipment: 2L pot still

Postby 1 2many » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:11 pm

Funny you mention that result Brendan I just run my first MacWhisky and have the same result stripped to much flavour out of the spirit , I noticed during the run just after heads it seemed fairly nuetral then into the hearts i could taste some flavour and have had about 2 ltr's on oak and air for 24 hrs and the spirit is very weak in flavour. One reason I susspect is I was pulling 94% -92% that I am pretty sure wouldn't help . I think what JayD said might be the answer and pull out a plate to reduce the ABV. :think:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Sam. » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:18 pm

1 2many wrote:Funny you mention that result Brendan I just run my first MacWhisky and have the same result stripped to much flavour out of the spirit , I noticed during the run just after heads it seemed fairly nuetral then into the hearts i could taste some flavour and have had about 2 ltr's on oak and air for 24 hrs and the spirit is very weak in flavour. One reason I susspect is I was pulling 94% -92% that I am pretty sure wouldn't help . I think what JayD said might be the answer and pull out a plate to reduce the ABV. :think:

Or run it faster to drop ABV :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bluess57 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:45 pm

To all the MacWhisky makers, hope your saving up all the tails from runs.
I collected around 5L of tails from McWhisky / UJSM runs and put it back thru in a UJSM wash (bubbler 4 plates).
Resultant UJSM smells delightful, only been on American oak dominos for a month. Is a promising result.
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby big albert » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:12 pm

Howdy Blue,

Sounds terrific. What sort of oak did you use? Was it staves or bought chips? Did you use as is or toast them or were they already toasted? What ratio do you like to go by?

By golly that was an interrogation wasnt it hahaha, sorry blue.

Big Fat Albert
big albert

Postby SBB » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Put a bit of this on oak about 2 months ago. Had a sample a couple of weeks ago and mixed it with coke and thought it was ok, Tried it again tonight with a few ice cubes and water........bloody good stuff I think its meant to be drunk that way :smile: :smile: :smile:
I will defiantly be making more.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Bushy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:48 pm

SBB wrote:I will defiantly be making more.

I sometimes leave the seat up for the same reason.
You're right SBB, this stuff gets even better with age and oak. I got a variety of flavours and ages and it's all good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby newbiboozer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:32 pm

I just run my first one of these in my bubbler 27 litre wash with 50/50 ale and smoked malt. It is still airing now but as far as other people saying its nice straight out of the still mine doesn't seem to have much hearts in it and all seems to have a real peppery burn. Anyone had results like this. Time will tell I guess.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby Bushy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Ale and smoked malt? Crikey.
You are a long way from page one mate. The peppery burn may be the peated malt. But you're not really making Macwhisky. I doubt that Mac would argue when i say, the only thing scotch about this recipe is the Mac in front of the whisky. It's not scotch.
Tell ya what though. I reckon i'd whack a few french dominos in that peppery shite and check it in a few months. Who knows :-D
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby MacStill » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:26 pm

Bushy wrote:Ale and smoked malt? Crikey.
You are a long way from page one mate. The peppery burn may be the peated malt. But you're not really making Macwhisky. I doubt that Mac would argue when i say, the only thing scotch about this recipe is the Mac in front of the whisky. It's not scotch.
Tell ya what though. I reckon i'd whack a few french dominos in that peppery shite and check it in a few months. Who knows :-D

Yep! I refrained from saying anything about it actually, however, you couldnt get much further from the original unless you were doing a fucken TPW :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby newbiboozer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:13 am

Sorry guys I was of the understanding that some of the guys on here had discussed using peated malt as a variation to the original recipe. Obviously my misunderstanding. Guess I'll see how it goes. I was hoping someone else had used the peated malt and could tell me if the peppery burn would fade when aged. Please excuse my newbiness.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby MacStill » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:50 am

newbiboozer wrote:Sorry guys I was of the understanding that some of the guys on here had discussed using peated malt as a variation to the original recipe. Obviously my misunderstanding. Guess I'll see how it goes. I was hoping someone else had used the peated malt and could tell me if the peppery burn would fade when aged. Please excuse my newbiness.

Dont stress mate, stick it on oak and see how it goes.... you got nothing to lose by trying, peppery notes "can" be quite good eventually ;-)

So far the only problems anyone has had with this recipe is when it's not being followed, sure, variations are great if they work but then this aint the thread to discuss it hey :doh:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Sipping on a bit of this right now, my only regret is that I didn't make 20L of the stuff instead of 2L.
Tis good stuff Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bayshine » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:53 pm

im also sippin some now as well :mrgreen:
its been in an oak barrel for six months and dang if it don't taste like bourbon :dance:
pulled a bottle out a couple of months ago and it tasted a bit like an irish :think:
i haven't made any since but I'm gunna have to pull me finga out an get some cracken again
no problem with flavour through 4 plates for mine :dance:
tis a fantastic drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

MacWhisky

Postby Robj » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi Mac
Do u leave the grain in the wash and run it in the still??
Robj

equipment: Pot still and reflux

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development