Wheat vodka info

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Wheat vodka info

Postby Dyno » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:37 pm

Anyone continuing on with this recipe ? Have plans on putting down a 100L wash next week. Is the EC1118 the best yeast for this or is there something else out there I should be looking at ?. Will be through a pot still, double/ possibly triple run as want to get a balanced grain taste/ mouthfeel.
Just unsure on the yeast side of things..any info from anyone in the know would be most helpful...cheers
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby macs » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:42 am

I use 3kg of cracked wheat, 8kg sugar and top up to 55l. When it's done fermenting I syphon out around 42l and dump the rest. I tried this recipe with Lowans, wheat yeast and EC1118. My money is definitely on the wheat yeast or EC1118 but there are some subtle differences in the finished product that come down to personal preference. I stick with the wheat yeast. EC1118 is easier and the more forgiving of the two though. Triple distilling is better too. I run 3 fermenters at once, strip each one, distill the low wines again, then run them a third time.

I've run TWP and kale washes, again with the 3 yeasts, and the cracked wheat shits on them IMO.
macs

equipment: Keg boiler and Neutraliser.

Postby Dyno » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:16 am

macs wrote:I use 3kg of cracked wheat, 8kg sugar and top up to 55l. When it's done fermenting I syphon out around 42l and dump the rest. I tried this recipe with Lowans, wheat yeast and EC1118. My money is definitely on the wheat yeast or EC1118 but there are some subtle differences in the finished product that come down to personal preference. I stick with the wheat yeast. EC1118 is easier and the more forgiving of the two though. Triple distilling is better too. I run 3 fermenters at once, strip each one, distill the low wines again, then run them a third time.

I've run TWP and kale washes, again with the 3 yeasts, and the cracked wheat shits on them IMO.

Thats good info Macs, appreciate it. Do you convert the Wheat with high temp enzyme? Or just dump it in the fermenter like a steep?
Be interesting to note the subtle taste differences in those 2 yeast types. All honesty Im not a big Vodka drinker but the ones I have tried have been upper end had a good grain finish. Just a bit wary given Im pot stilling that I get the yeast right as I really want to minimise the carry over.
Ive got a 100L of rum to strip tonight then Sunday Ill put this down.
Thanks mate.
Dyno

Postby macs » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:13 am

I put the wheat in a big pot and top up to 10l then cook (simmer) for about an hour. I don't do this for any conversion, merely to break down the grain and soften it as I think it improves the end product (mouth feel, etc). After an hour it should be really thick and sloppy. Dump into fermenter.

Next, 7l water into same pot, bring to boil, dump in 8kg raw sugar (should bring the water level up to about 12l), bring back to boil, turn off and drop in 2tsp citric acid. Dump into fermenter.

Top up to 55l and wait for temp to come down before adding yeast.

Yeast I rehydrate. Steril water, 30-35 degrees, sprinkle on top, leave for 20 minutes, stir, leave for another 5 mins or so. Dump into fermenter. About 2 weeks later it's good to go.

As I said I do 3 batches at once and triple distill. This stuff is fantastic! Totally craps on cheaper products like Absolut. Just finished a batch last weekend and I think there's about 18 bottles @ 40%.

If you're pot stilling I'd definitely use EC1118. Why not try both though and see what appeals? Wheat yeast can give off banana or clove flavours when fermented at different temps (high or low respectively) which can carry through.

I never drank vodka until I started making grog myself, only bourbon. Now I make both and drink the vodka while waiting for the bourbon to oak. 12 months is a killer. I don't know anything about rum, does it get oaked? For long?

Hope all that helps. Good luck!
macs

equipment: Keg boiler and Neutraliser.

Postby EziTasting » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:59 am

Awesome write-up macs!

Learned quite a bit. Been interested in using more than one yeast in a single ferment for a while and you've just reminded me! Is there a place that has this specific information? I've been told that yeast manufacturers have this info on their website, just wondering if there's a third party site? Probably a beer brewing site?!?!?

Thank you again.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Dyno » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:40 am

macs wrote:I put the wheat in a big pot and top up to 10l then cook (simmer) for about an hour. I don't do this for any conversion, merely to break down the grain and soften it as I think it improves the end product (mouth feel, etc). After an hour it should be really thick and sloppy. Dump into fermenter.

Next, 7l water into same pot, bring to boil, dump in 8kg raw sugar (should bring the water level up to about 12l), bring back to boil, turn off and drop in 2tsp citric acid. Dump into fermenter.

Top up to 55l and wait for temp to come down before adding yeast.

Yeast I rehydrate. Steril water, 30-35 degrees, sprinkle on top, leave for 20 minutes, stir, leave for another 5 mins or so. Dump into fermenter. About 2 weeks later it's good to go.

As I said I do 3 batches at once and triple distill. This stuff is fantastic! Totally craps on cheaper products like Absolut. Just finished a batch last weekend and I think there's about 18 bottles @ 40%.

If you're pot stilling I'd definitely use EC1118. Why not try both though and see what appeals? Wheat yeast can give off banana or clove flavours when fermented at different temps (high or low respectively) which can carry through.

I never drank vodka until I started making grog myself, only bourbon. Now I make both and drink the vodka while waiting for the bourbon to oak. 12 months is a killer. I don't know anything about rum, does it get oaked? For long?

Hope all that helps. Good luck!

Fantastic mate. You've given me everything I was looking for. I'll keep this updated with how I travel. Reason I'm doing it is pretty much the same as you. It's coming up Xmas and the cupboards bare. Been hard out putting whiskey into barrels this year but that's no good to me at this point hence the Vody brew. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
As for the Rum, Im a virgin in that area. Smells bloody nice though. :-D :-D :-D
Dyno

Previous

Return to Recipe Development