BIAB Single Malt Whisky

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: BIAB Single Malt Whisky

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:23 pm

Not for Malt Whisky, what I do is use 5L backset to dissolve sugar, malt extract and what ever cereal I am using to make a sugar head. Gives a better flavour IMHO, have gone upto 6 gens with Malt Whisky Yeast. I keep all my tails from spirit runs separate to boost abv in the next run, heads into neutral container(might do something with them one day)Next time I get cheap grain I may try gens. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:10 pm

First batch was not as good as I had hoped, fermented out to a FG of 1.000 ended up collecting 4.5L @35%. I have done a 2 steep mash tonight 65' for 90mins then drain and add another 12L @ 80' held at 70' for another 60mins. Total 27L with a SG of 1.070 :D Feeling much more positive about tonights effort :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:25 pm

Update, currently 9L @ 43% from 2 strips, I will mash the last of my grain tonight. Hopefully I will get another 6L @ 40% from the last 9kg :pray:
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:26 pm

After stripping my last batch I have 14.5L @ 42%, the last batch I used 1 Tbsp of yeast, took about 1/2 a day longer to ferment but no other difference that I can tell. I will pick up another bag of grain tomorrow and keep going, hopefully will have around the 30L mark from 2 bags.
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Fri May 06, 2016 8:33 pm

Update for anyone who's interested, after 6 mashes i have stripped 31.5L @ 40%
50kg of Malt
40gm Yeast(approx)
$112.6 total

Going by past spirit runs I expect to collect around 8-9L @ 92% + maybe 1-2L lower, unfortunately life is getting in the way of a full day of distilling so it will be a few weeks before I can do the spirit run :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby WTDist » Sat May 07, 2016 8:38 am

TasSpirits wrote:Update for anyone who's interested, after 6 mashes i have stripped 31.5L @ 40%
50kg of Malt
40gm Yeast(approx)
$112.6 total

Going by past spirit runs I expect to collect around 8-9L @ 92% + maybe 1-2L lower, unfortunately life is getting in the way of a full day of distilling so it will be a few weeks before I can do the spirit run :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So are you stripping them all in a pot, then doing a spirit run on the bubbler? If so how many plates will you use after a stripping run? I read (or rather saw his video) that doc always strips his runs before using a bubbler.

Im hopeing this recipe gets a lot of thumbs up as i have a few mates that like scotch
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby TasSpirits » Sat May 07, 2016 9:35 am

WTDist wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:Update for anyone who's interested, after 6 mashes i have stripped 31.5L @ 40%
50kg of Malt
40gm Yeast(approx)
$112.6 total

So are you stripping them all in a pot, then doing a spirit run on the bubbler? If so how many plates will you use after a stripping run? I read (or rather saw his video) that doc always strips his runs before using a bubbler.

Im hopeing this recipe gets a lot of thumbs up as i have a few mates that like scotch

Stripped through pot then through the bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft: will be running this through 4 perf. plates, I have half a dozen or so single malts on oak at the moment that where done this way, they all seem to come good a lot quicker. Used to take at least 12-18 months with the pot. If my hearts cut is similar to the other runs I have done I should collect 5-6L @ 65%
TasSpirits

Postby WTDist » Sat May 07, 2016 9:49 am

thats not bad yeald, is that about 12$ per 1l bottle at 40% after finished ageing? (not including power/water)
WTDist

Postby bluc » Sat May 07, 2016 1:57 pm

Getting closer to having a go at this just gotta get warras corn whiskey out of the way first..Will be pot stilling mine.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Sat May 07, 2016 4:57 pm

bluc wrote:Getting closer to having a go at this just gotta get warras corn whiskey out of the way first..Will be pot stilling mine.

I used to pot still all my AG untill I got the bubbler, I ran real slow and made 200ml cuts. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Sat May 07, 2016 6:29 pm

WTDist wrote:thats not bad yeald, is that about 12$ per 1l bottle at 40% after finished ageing? (not including power/water)

So far I have averaged a loss of 5% aging in bottles, so Im looking at $9.60 a 700ml bottle. Water is recirculated in a 200L drum and I have a half decent solar system feeding into the grid, so I dont bother counting power and water :teasing-neener: , sprit run would only cost about $4 anyway.
TasSpirits

Postby WTDist » Sun May 08, 2016 7:41 am

TasSpirits wrote:
WTDist wrote:thats not bad yeald, is that about 12$ per 1l bottle at 40% after finished ageing? (not including power/water)

So far I have averaged a loss of 5% aging in bottles, so Im looking at $9.60 a 700ml bottle. Water is recirculated in a 200L drum and I have a half decent solar system feeding into the grid, so I dont bother counting power and water :teasing-neener: , sprit run would only cost about $4 anyway.

Nice, Same where i moved still, numerous tanks pools and 10kw solar system. those prices look good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
A lot in beginning but over all it is good. slightly dearer than using turbo yeast, essense and chips :laughing-rolling: those damn home brew shop robbers. :laughing-rolling:
WTDist

Postby TasSpirits » Sun May 08, 2016 9:46 am

WTDist wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:

Nice, Same where i moved still, numerous tanks pools and 10kw solar system. those prices look good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
A lot in beginning but over all it is good. slightly dearer than using turbo yeast, essense and chips :laughing-rolling: those damn home brew shop robbers. :laughing-rolling:

Those HBS robbers have just put the price of my favorite malt upto $110 :scared-eek: So I am having a go at Irish Whiskey atm 50/40/10 malted/unmalted/oats if I can get it to work I can buy unmalted for 50c kg
TasSpirits

Postby wynnum1 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:28 am

Is that from the drought.
wynnum1

Postby TasSpirits » Sun May 08, 2016 12:22 pm

wynnum1 wrote:Is that from the drought.

Imported Peated Malt, the local gear is still the same price, most of the barley down here is irrigated as far as I know. I do like a bit of peat in my whisky, need to buy a bigger place and start malting my own :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Zzpop » Sun May 08, 2016 1:28 pm

Any reason for not doing single passes through your bubbler?
Zzpop

equipment: Boka and pot
4" 4 perf plate column +50lt boiler

Postby TasSpirits » Sun May 08, 2016 1:47 pm

Zzpop wrote:Any reason for not doing single passes through your bubbler?

I first tried doing single runs, nothing wrong with it. Watched Doc's vid and decided to strip then run, this way seems to age quicker and a little better IMHO, also doing a decent sized spirit run I can fill a 5L demi in one go. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 08, 2016 2:26 pm

TasSpirits wrote:...Stripped through pot then through the bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just curious, do you strip using a de-tuned pot still?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby TasSpirits » Sun May 08, 2016 3:25 pm

EziTasting wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:...Stripped through pot then through the bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Not quite sure what you mean by de-tuned pot still? I run a simple pot with a liebig condenser, then run through the bubbler with 4 plates, hope that clears it up for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 08, 2016 6:30 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
EziTasting wrote:

Not quite sure what you mean by de-tuned pot still? I run a simple pot with a liebig condenser, then run through the bubbler with 4 plates, hope that clears it up for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:-B sorry, detuned, from my reading means that the potstill body is empty - no copper or SS mesh or any other 'copper or Stainless' saddles or whatever's in it! Just like an empty tube....
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development