Single Malt Oat Whiskey

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Single Malt Oat Whiskey

Postby MR-E » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Nice lump of wood, how bout a pic of the distressed hooch :?:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby Lowndsey » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Interesting topic. All the info I have read on heat distress aging suggests you need to be careful as the heat pulls out a lot of tannins out of the wood. I've always been tempted to try it as I quite often do the freezer distress thing.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby crow » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:31 am

MR-E wrote:Nice lump of wood, how bout a pic of the distressed hooch :?:

I'm in ballarat ATM looking after the tin lids will take some picks when I get home. heres what the keged whiskey looks like so far infused with one lot of distress aged stuff (1.5ltrs added), that's the refurbished keg , after I add the next lot Ill just let it be as I don't want to over do it. I bought it in to town for some ppl to try, its a real winner everyone said it tastes sensational . I got my son to hold the glass while i very quickly took a picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MR-E » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:39 am

So are you distress oaking & adding it all to the barrel or just some of it :?:
Nice looking set up you got going there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MR-E

Postby crow » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:01 am

Lowndsey wrote:Interesting topic. All the info I have read on heat distress aging suggests you need to be careful as the heat pulls out a lot of tannins out of the wood. I've always been tempted to try it as I quite often do the freezer distress thing.

Yeah naturally ya want to be a bit careful. Weathered timber think this stuff is better staves from and old barrel like wise if using new oak i would taste it regularly as the reason for using hot ethanol is to strip dissoluble compounds out or the timber in a very short time which will include tannins, some tannins are needed it part of the oak flavour but to much and its going to taste...well like tannin (bitter). The other wise thing to do is don't distress age the whole lot, just do a percentage at a time and there is way less risk of over doing it :handgestures-thumbupleft: .I put the wood in still smouldering well aware of cause that a spark of flame could ignite the ethanol but i figure 1.5 ltrs in a jar could be smothered in one second should that happen (it never has) , i probably wouldn't really advise ppl to do it like that but it does infuse the char flavour almost instantly . the distress aged whiskey was about the colour of strong black tea when I decided it was infused enough to be added so I drew of two ltrs then added the 1.5 infused ltrs and began to age what I drew off, hope that all makes sense
Edit yep MR-E just 1.5 ltrs at a time out of 9 ltrs all at around 65% barrel strength. I would be a little more patient with it except xmas is in a few days so I need to get something like 2yrs aging in under a week
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Lowndsey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:46 am

Ok Crow you twisted my arm. Gonna give this heat distressing a go with my rum. Got a 60 litre wash to run through tomorrow. Will give it a go with a few litres.
Lowndsey

Postby crow » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:37 pm

ok this stuff is absolutely sensational now , just can't believe the way this has turned out. it tastes like an old vintage $$ whiskey :D just a pity seeing all those faints and knowing 2/3rds of it is hearts with tails smeared though, ah the joys of using a pot still, ah well get them next time hey ;-)
crow

Postby crow » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:20 am

couple of photos of the distress aged whiskey prior to back blending
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

Postby MR-E » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:03 am

Nice one Crow :handgestures-thumbupleft: that's a lot of sticks :o
MR-E

Postby crow » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:12 am

MR-E wrote:Nice one Crow :handgestures-thumbupleft: that's a lot of sticks :o

I got oak growing in every direction just to scale the piece in my earlier photo, those weather boards are 140 wide :)) so yeah i got plenty of free oak and I was in a hurry to "age" it ;-)
crow

Postby MR-E » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:27 am

I reckon your distressed oaking method should be posted in the Oaking & Aging section as well, might help others find it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MR-E

Postby crow » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:18 am

MR-E wrote:I reckon your distressed oaking method should be posted in the Oaking & Aging section as well, might help others find it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

yeah I just figured there'd be a thread on distress aging there, at least he freeze method but there isn't so , will do :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I'll post both the temp "aging" methods in the same thread so as to point out the pro's and con's of each and the traps for new players ;-)
crow

Postby Linny » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:12 am

croweater wrote:
MR-E wrote:I reckon your distressed oaking method should be posted in the Oaking & Aging section as well, might help others find it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

yeah I just figured there'd be a thread on distress aging there, at least he freeze method but there isn't so , will do :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I'll post both the temp "aging" methods in the same thread so as to point out the pro's and con's of each and the traps for new players ;-)

:text-+1: Very Interested , since atm im only using glycerine
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Linny » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:28 pm

well i just finished putting down a Oat whiskey .... first time at attempting a mash... bloody hell you have to be organised, especially when its time for sparging , I did end up mucking around with rolled oats and bread improver , it does work to a degree as you can taste the sweetness, but i ended up mixing extra sugar with it just to top it up. let you all know how it goes :handgestures-thumbupleft: . i had troubles with the oats sucking up all the water even though i had 6L to 1kg ... i dont know how people use 4L to 1 kg.
Linny

Postby Lowndsey » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread....But I gave this heat distress aging a go on some UJSM I had. I had 5 litres of it at 65%. It had been on oak staves for approx 2 weeks. I took off about 1500ml and did this treatment to it in a jar with 2 oak staves about 5 inches long and maybe 1.5cm squared..Only difference being that I didn't add any maple syrup. Just had a taste between the 2 and the diff is night and day. I reckon the distress "aged" stuff has probably "aged" an extra 2 months or so compared to the other stuff. Still not ready to drink for a bourbon but has certainly accelerated the process taste wise and colour wise.
Lowndsey

Postby crow » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:59 pm

you can not dupicate yrs in a barrel,ya just can't and thats all there is to it but this is the next best thing ;-)
crow

Postby Lowndsey » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:36 pm

So have you tried doing this more than once on the same batch of likker?
Lowndsey

Postby MR-E » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:24 am

croweater wrote:you can not dupicate yrs in a barrel,ya just can't and thats all there is to it but this is the next best thing ;-)

:crying-blue: your mean MR Crow :crying-blue:
MR-E

Postby Linny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Well I decided to open it up today (well a blended oat whiskey)...... just over 4 weeks with 2 charred domino's.... well i over oaked it again (no where near as bad as my first attempt) but it is still VERY VERY NICE !!!! , its so smooth with medium vanilla. i didnt even had to add glycerine to it... I only checked this last week and it wasnt ready, its amazing how much a week changes it... I love the fact that im ageing my own recipe from scratch rather than essence ,,,, getting this ageing right is hard and long business !!!

definately going to recycle my DWWG ,,,, this shits all over it
Linny

Postby Linny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:25 pm

crow wrote:ok this stuff is absolutely sensational now , just can't believe the way this has turned out. it tastes like an old vintage $$ whiskey :D just a pity seeing all those faints and knowing 2/3rds of it is hearts with tails smeared though, ah the joys of using a pot still, ah well get them next time hey ;-)

I would like to see the same recipe through your bubbler ... LOL
Linny

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development