Woolies max charge bourbon wash

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Woolies max charge bourbon wash

Postby db1979 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:06 am

Found this at the local woolies yesterday, think I'll give it a go at making a bourbon/whiskey.

15383490211170.jpg

It's a nutrigrain knock-off but with different proportions of grains (higher corn:oats ratio). It's 51% cereals, but only 7% corn. Nutrigrain says it has more oats than corn, but doesn't say the percentage. It's also a lot cheaper than nutrigrain on a weight basis.

15383491422871.jpg

I don't think I will follow kimbo's recipe as I don't want to use 1.6 kg of cereal in my first wash instead I'm going to use the weetbix allbran wash as a guide.

Weetbix is 97% wheat. I'll take the version of the weetbix all bran (wbab) recipe that I've been using (what I call a weetbix wash) and substitute the Max Charge. I'll roughly double the amount of cereal though to make up for the fact that there's approximately half the grain in the Max Charge. When I do a weetbix wash I use 18 weetbix per 20 L wash. There's 72 weetbix in a 1.2 kg box and 18/72 is 1/4. 1/4 of 1.2 kg is 300 g, so that means I'll need 600 g of the Max Charge. This new stuff comes in 560 g boxes, so I'll just use a full box and be done with it.

I'm going to give the saf gold yeast I got from Andrew a go. I normally use Bakers for weetbix wash. I'll use the same quantity.

I'll run it through 4 plates (no stripping) and age on medium toasted American oak dominoes. Backset and new sugar returned to the fermenter (once cooled) and the process repeated for generations.

So the overall plan for a 20 L wash:
5 kg sugar
560 g box of woolworths Max charge
1.5 teaspoons Epsom salts
1 teaspoon citric acid
Water to the 20 L mark with lots of aeration
1/4 cup saf gold yeast sprinkled on top

Now because I plan on doing generations I'll probably use an airlock. I'll be treating this with more care than I do my weetbix wash for vodka basically :romance-kisscheek:

Since I've only ever done generations with bwko I'm not sure what I should do each generation with respect to the amount of backset and addition of extra Epsom and citric acid. Anyone care to advise?

I'm also going to be putting on some other experiments with the saf gold to compare it to the Bakers. But that's another thread (or two).

I'll keep you posted of progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Re: Woolies max charge bourbon wash

Postby j0sh2008 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Sounds interesting :handgestures-thumbupleft: I’m going to follow to see how it turns out.
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Postby A&O » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:06 pm

Great work db. So glad there's a new recipe for development, really keen on seeing how it turns out.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Good one mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I moved the thread to recipe development for now though until it’s proven :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby db1979 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Good one mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I moved the thread to recipe development for now though until it’s proven :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Oops, my bad 8-} I was browsing the tried and proven while I was drafting the post and simply clicked the new thread button but didn't even think I'd put it in the wrong place! Thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:00 pm

In 20ltrs I would go small amount of backset for a start as it is really only there for ph adjustment more than taste. I'd say 4-5 ltrs max? If you have a ph meter test the wash and see how it goes, you can always add more, taking it back our will be a little harder :laughing-rolling:

I don't add any epsom or citric after first wash as that's what your backset is meant to do. I do add a vitamin B tablet if I feel the need but forget most times...

Good luck mate hope she works a treat :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby dans.brew » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Good luck with it db... will certainly be watching. :clap:
Will be interested in how the yeast goes... was tempted to get some and play with it a little too.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby The Stig » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:10 pm

Any updates ?
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby db1979 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:56 pm

:shifty:
One day :D
db1979

Postby Bazzamc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:01 am

I have just finished this wash about to do 2nd generation I am
going to use another 560 gm box of Max Charge, 5kg of sugar , 5lt
of backset etc do yous think that will be Ok
Bazzamc

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo T500 boiler & condenser & Pot Still Alembic Dome Top .

Postby db1979 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:15 pm

Finally got round to doing this one, but I was too damn lazy to get organised with generations. I've had the first gen on 5 star medium toasted oak now for 3 months and I reckon it's pretty nice. I'm not saying it's the bee's knees but if you're looking for a cereal based bourbon and your local is out of corn flakes, maybe give this a whirl.
db1979

Postby db1979 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Fuuuuck almost a year later :o :?

:laughing-rolling:
db1979

Return to Recipe Development