White sambuca

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

White sambuca

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Been playing with this for a while, never had anyone not like it apart from licorice haters :snooty:
I’m not saying it’s exact copy but it tastes good. Not something I drink often but great as a shot :handgestures-thumbupleft:

50g star anise (Illicium verum)
50g anise (pimpinella anisum)
20g fennel seeds
100g elderberry (Sambucus nigra)
2L of neutral

I grind it all together, add to the neutral in a 5L demijohn and let it sit for few days. Then fill the demijohn with water an put in my small pot still. Throw away the 1st 50ml and collect 1.5L then I collect in small jars. Once the output goes cloudy I throw it and the previous 2 jars away. Sambuca is meant to be minimum 350g of sugar per liter. I have made it like that but I prefer half the sugar, it comes down to personal preference :handgestures-thumbupleft: I aim for 42% abv after adding the sugar syrup :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Re: White sambuca

Postby Lesgold » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi Wobblyboot,

Good post thanks for making the effort. Sounds like a good one to try. What’s the starting abv of the neutral that you use?
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Re: White sambuca

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Lesgold wrote:Hi Wobblyboot,

Good post thanks for making the effort. Sounds like a good one to try. What’s the starting abv of the neutral that you use?

As high abv as u got :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Return to Recipe Development