HAS ANYONE BUMBU?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

HAS ANYONE BUMBU?

Postby Thelegion » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:36 pm

So has anyone tried Bumbu Rum?

The rum is very sweet, a fantastic drink on ice with 1/2 key lime and a teaspoon of cola.

I have done a small bit of research on the rum and the process is extremely elusive, seems to date back many years. If I would hazard a guess I think it started out with a bakers yeast, what I am interested in, is there anyone that has tried to recreate this type of rum?

TL....
Thelegion

equipment: FOR YOUR 4" BUBBLING PLEASURE

Re: HAS ANYONE BUMBU?

Postby OzDistilling » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:56 pm

Thelegion wrote:So has anyone tried Bumbu Rum?

The rum is very sweet, a fantastic drink on ice with 1/2 key lime and a teaspoon of cola.

I have done a small bit of research on the rum and the process is extremely elusive, seems to date back many years. If I would hazard a guess I think it started out with a bakers yeast, what I am interested in, is there anyone that has tried to recreate this type of rum?

TL....

Bumbu Rum is a spiced Rhum Agricole https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhum_agricole fermented from cane juice, not molasses or higher processed sugars as is usual for rum. Traditionally a Rhum Agricole is fermented using only wild yeasts, but over the last 20 years this has subsided to using cultured yeasts due to the unpredictability of wild yeasts and the increasing prevalence of noxious yeats and bacterias which will spoil a ferment. Most commercial 'tropical' rum yeats are cultured from traditional wild cane yeasts, so you loose little. As to what spices they use my tasting would suggest the usual cinnamon, ginger and cardamom, but with some spearmint. They definitely add sucrose caramel for color, and some mouth feel.

The distinction here is that its a Rhum Agricole, vastly different from molasses or blackstrap rums. They key to a good Rhum Agricole is fresh cane juice (hard for the hobbyist to get unless you live in N.Queensland LOL) and settling the juice before pitching. Rhum Agricole will be the next big trend trust me.
OzDistilling

equipment: Brewhaus

Return to Recipe Development